588,504 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help ganesh cyclone

help ganesh cyclone wont hold tolerances for the first 2 hrs of running and parts not looking good out of round

Quote Originally Posted by jechurch View Post
    help ganesh cyclone wont hold tolerances for the first 2 hrs of running and parts not looking good out of round
    This implies thermal expansion - as the machine warms up and settles the tolerances change. If it holds good after those two hours then its just something with the machine you'll have to live with, every machine will be like this to some extent.

Now for the out of round, is it always, or does it end up being good after those two hours as well? Is it consistently good after those two hours, even with new bars? This could imply the bar itself heats up as well, expands and "fills" the guide bushing more.

Its pretty simple logical deduction my friend.

Eliminate the variables and see what you have left.

Theres no magic to it, and I don't think you'll enjoy my other answer of "buy a new/better machine"!

We need more information than you provided to be much help.

some things that cause out of round and their solutions:
    -Bushing is set too loose -Tighten the bushing
    -A chip worked its way into the bushing -Take out bushing, clean, replace
    -Your stock is out of round -get better/ground stock

-not necessarily a cause but: a smaller tool nose radius will have less cutting pressure so you might try a small nose rad depending on the size

-Also, as said before: Machine has a lot of thermal expansion -warm up machine before running (in my experience this should take 30 mins to hold size well and a hour max to settle in 100%. (My tsugami will be within .0001-2 cold vs warm =) Make sure you run the oil as well as the spindle. possibly make a loop to run the X/Y servos as well like:

T0303 (middle gang tool)
    g1 g98 x-.05 f10. (cutoff end)
    x2. (x+ max)
    v2. (some arbitraty Y move)
    v-2.
    m99
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

ganeshs dont have gb's to my knowledge,

honestly it sounds like spindle bearings to me hate to be the bearer of bad news

check for spindle runout/endplay and for deflection on your z1

also i would try running a short piece of bar without the bar feeder to see if bar whip could be causing your problem

You are right a Genesh does't have a GB. On my 32-CS you must clean up the stock Dia. or you will will have some runout. And it can get bad if you chuck on the stock Dia. with the sub spindle. My X1 can be up to .002 big on a cold machine, we keep a eye on the part and make off-sets as needed. It's a pain in the a#% but you do what you have to do. But it will hold right on the money for days (24-7) on a free cutting Mat'l that does't hurt an insert.

temperature changes in the machine will cause the same problem. in cold climates make sure the machine is warmed up before you start making parts.

temperature changes in the machine will cause the same problem. in cold climates make sure the machine is warmed up before you start making parts. Have you tried calling Ganesh and talking to their service manager to see if they have any suggestions.