588,504 active members*
5,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Ganesh Cyclone 32, High Pressure Coolant/Oil and when to use it OD/ID

Ganesh Cyclone 32, High Pressure Coolant/Oil and when to use it OD/ID

Hello,

We have a Ganesh Cyclone 32 here at the shop. Originally, we had issues with getting oil to ID tooling like drill bodies and boring bars. We purchased a external high pressure pump so we could utilize thru-tooling coolant drastically reducing the cycle times for the ID tooling.

Question that's been floating around the shop has been the use of the high pressure oil on the OD tooling like the rougher and finisher. Once the high pressure oil shoots out of the nozzles, it seems to aerate more than lubricate the tool. The way the Ganesh is set up, there is no really good way to oil the OD tooling unless you use left-handed holders so the inserts are directly hit by the oil. We are currently using right-handed holders so the back side of the insert is oiled instead of the front side. And yes, I've repeatedly suggested using left-handed tools. And using the high pressure more has increased the oil temperature and we are burning off more than normal.

A couple of the guys here in the shop think the high pressure on the OD tooling is the way to go. I used high pressure oil in the past at a different shop and they never used it on OD tooling.

Any thoughts on this? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

i use high pressure on finisher to eliminate stringy chips, roughers i just feed hard enough to break chip.(depends on what you cut)
    we use steel brake line for hp extensions and usually put the end right over the insert screw or clamp
    the closer to the edge you get the better, remember, at 10 feet a pressure washer is a nice mist, at 1 inch it will cut thru concrete

hacdlux, thanks for your response. A question for you.

What kind of oil are you using? We were told that to run HP, you have to use a oil rated for HP or higher temperatures. Currently, we are using what is in the shop, same stuff that we use in an older Tsunami.

Hi Jim,

The type of oil does make a difference. I've used Hangsterfers with great success. Also, there are OD tools & holders designed for HPC to direct the coolant directly at the top of the insert. I would recommend trying a defoaming additive before you try new oil. You may be getting too many air bubbles into your current system.

Here's other things to consider when using HPC's:

*Oil temperature, the higher the temp the thinner it is (lower performance)
    *Age of oil, if it's diluted with way lube & barfeed oil then you're not getting the intended performance of the original cutting oil
    *You may need to make your own manifolds with nozzles to have more control over direction

Which HPC system are you using?
    What area are you in, maybe I can help you locate a supplier of Hangsterfers?

-David