588,268 active members*
10,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a reverse jaw vise?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! a 4"!

1 7.14%
  • Yes! a 5"!

4 28.57%
  • Yes! both !!

7 50.00%
  • Nope

2 14.29%

Interest in 4" or 5" reverse jaw vise?

First let me say I have no affiliation with Glacern whatsoever.

I contacted them a few months ago asking if they had any plans to make a 4" or 5" vise with reverse jaw, such as their 6" model seen below. For those of us with smaller CNC mills, I think a 4" or 5" reverse would be a nice fit.

Glacern Machine Tools - GPV-615R Reversed Vise

Glacern indicated that if the market was there, they would look into it. Well, now is the time to speak up. Post here and answer the poll if you have interest, and I will send the link to Glacern and with any luck, they will put one on the market.

I'd like to keep the thread clean and simple, and not get into the reasons why you would or wouldn't want one. A simple yes or no will suffice.

thanks all
    Matt

Either size vise would be great as long as the overall length does not hang off the back of the table.

I have a 6 inch Quad 1 that does not hang off the back of the table. It doesn't hang off the back of the table because I cut 2 1/4 inches off the back end of the vise. I still have the 6 inch width, but now it only opens 4 1/4 inches. That's fine for me because I don't do big parts any more. :wave:

Oh yeah, and when I need to, I can turn my vise in its side to hold long skinny parts.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure what your budget is, but we're currently prototyping 4" and 4.5" vises. They won't be ready anytime soon, but we are predicting a roll-out sometime in 2013 with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Our vises are designed and built to perform with total reliability in production environments, so our pricing does reflect the necessary attention to detail. I should also mention they're entirely made in the USA.

One notable feature is that the threads of the main screw shaft are completely encased and sealed. Not only are the threads shielded with a 1/4" steel plate (powdercoated red in the photo below), but they're also sealed with an O-ring. We completely eliminated chip guards because every type I've seen eventually fails in one way another. Instead, we made the threads impermeable to even the finest chips and made the rest of the vise very easy to clean. Most chips blow out the sides easily with air and coolant, and the occasional full teardown, wash, and reassembly takes just a few minutes with tenths repeatability.

You asked about reversed vises... ours are standard, reversed, and double station (with an off-settable center jaw) all in the same vise. You can choose which jaw to pin down using dowel pins.

Just like our current 6" version, our 4" and 4.5" versions will be priced comparably to other double-station vises on the market, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500, because it is a double station vise if you choose to configure it that way. No additional equipment is required to convert it to single station or reversed single station, and ball couplers and receivers will be included.

Steve mentioned length, which is very important on many machines with limited clearance. We can customize the length of any vise by simply replacing a few components with shorter varieties. The function remains the same.

Apologies for the shameless plug, but I figured some folks would be interested in hearing what's available and what will be available in the near future, to better plan their equipment purchases. If you have any questions, ask away. I'm happy to help.

-Sol
    http://www.orangevise.com

Yes, I would be interested.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Sol, re Orange Vise; thanks for chiming in. Your product looks fantastic, however I don't think the price point will work for the hobby machinist, which is typically who is purchasing the smaller vises. In a lot of cases, the hobby machinist mill would cost the same or less than an Orange Vise! Again, looks like a great product, I'm not knocking it, but I'm not sure its a good fit for the small mill or hobby market (not that all small mills are hobby of course)

thanks
    Matt

thats it? I get more action from my wife! Boom !

I would like a 4 inch vise with the fixed jaw on the front of the vise. A double vise doesn't interest me in the least. I actually had 2 Kurt 4 inch double vises and I sold them.

I have a 6 inch Quad 1 vise that was 2 1/4 inches too long for the Y axis on my machine. It hung 2 1/4 inches off the bach side of the table and used up 2 inches of my Y axis travel, so I took the vise to a friend of mine who has a BIG saw, and had him cut 2 1/4 inches off the back end of the vise.

Now it opens 4 1/2 inches, but it's still 6 inches wide and I can turn it on its side when I drill deep holes in thin material.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.