587,458 active members*
3,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 109JB's G0704 conversion (pics now, plans soon)

Hybrid View

The G0704 has tapered gibs. I think for right now, rather than pulling the table off again, I will just get some allen screws and jam nuts and use the threaded holes for the table locks to adjust the gib for now. I will still use the stock adjustment screws to position the gib left to right.

Later on I will pull the gib out and use some wet or dry sandpaper spray glued to a granite block to adjust the taper on the gib. I may just machine and scrape a new gib as I think this one will protrude too far out of the left side of the table once I adjust it.

As for the welded end on my ball screws, I didn't harden it afterward. Didn't see a need.

I really have to get some home/limit switches on this thing. I was playing around with it last night and ran the table a little too far and BAM!!!. My previous machine I had set for only 72 IPM, I was only running 24V and 3A on 5A motors so the power was way lower, and hitting a hard stop wasn't a big deal. That was actually how I homed it. I ran it to the hard stop and then backed of 0.100". Not going to be doing that with this machine. The good news is that I have the proximity swithces I am going to use already. The bad news is that I fried one testing it due to a brain fart on my part so now I only have 2 switches and have to order another one. I'm just going to order 5 more since I will need 2 when I do my lathe and want a few for backup. They are only $4 each so no big deal. Just have to wait for them.

I also trammed the mill in finally last night (I was up all night tending to the 14.5 lb smoked brisket and 12 lb turkey I am doing for today). The tramming came out great. The the column is square to the table within 0.0005" over 5" right now in both directions without having to shim. The head tilt got the spindle is dead on. I haven't run the table yet to see how flat it is. I have read about some problems others have had in this regard, but most of my stuff isn't too critical anyway. If I have something that critical I will use a fixture plate trued before use anyway.

Another thing I noticed is that you can't really get full travel on the Y-axis the way the column is. I will be making 2" to 2-1.2" spacers for the column and the head. Haven't decided if I will use aluminum or cast iron for them. Probably Aluminum since I have a 6" round of 6061-T6 that is about 3 feet long that I can make them out of. That is something I will make a trued up fixture for.

Well have to get ready for company. Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    ...... The bad news is that I fried one testing it due to a brain fart on my part..........
    Ah ha haven't heard that one before

Nice thread, love the pics and the detailed descriptions and this looks like the start of a very interesting and good build...thanks for sharing:cheers:
    Eoin