588,624 active members*
5,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Rotary Table Recommendations

Rotary Table Recommendations

Hi,

I am getting ready to purchase a HAAS rotary table and I am looking for any recommendations or suggestions. The table will be going on a 2012 VF-2 with a 4th axis drive and an umbrella tool changer. I was thinking of purchasing a HRT 210 with a chuck and tail stock.

Would you recommend a 210 or 160?

Pneumatic or manual tailstock?

I know the following question depends heavily on what type of work you are doing, but has anyone found any particular 4th axis fixture systems HAAS or other that you use more than say a chuck or plate?

The machine also has a probing system, will the tool length probe need to be removed?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

unbrella tool changers suck the tools get covered with chips and dried sticky coolant

as far as the rotary table we have a big and small one they both work great

Unless you have very short cycle times, go with the manual tail stock.

No need to remove the tool probe, but it might need to be moved. Whether the tool probe gets moved or not depends on how you position the rotary axis unit. In my opinion, it is not a big deal to reposition it. Make sure you read the manuals before doing so and are confident you understand the steps and process.

We have several Super MiniMills and VF2s outfitted with HRT210s. A small amount of work uses a chuck, a bit more some custom faceplate fixtures but most of the time it is production work using fixtures like this thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/work_f...fixturing.html

For the chuck we use a 6" six jaw that is not very deep. One problem I have found using a chuck on a rotary is that the rotary can move on the table because the chuck sticks out a long way in from and the part even further. Taking a decent cut especially if you get chatter will twist the rotary against the clearance between the alignment slots and the key and get it quite a number of thou off square. I finished up making baseplates that bolt to the machine table over a larger area which have setscrews in blocks that are used to align the rotary when setting it up and lock it into place. These are described and shown in this thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...hangeover.html
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks guys for the responses, very helpful!

Geof, do you recall which 6" chuck you are using? You built some nice fixtures!

Greg

The chuck was from KBC Tools and Machinery but I don't think they carry it any more.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I'd suggest the HRT-210 as it's only $1,200 more and has twice the brake torque at 200 ft/lbs. Not to mention you have more center height and can mount an 8" chuck on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC MI View Post
    I'd suggest the HRT-210 as it's only $1,200 more and has twice the brake torque at 200 ft/lbs. Not to mention you have more center height and can mount an 8" chuck on it as well.
    +1
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by gpettit View Post
    Hi,

I am getting ready to purchase a HAAS rotary table and I am looking for any recommendations or suggestions. The table will be going on a 2012 VF-2 with a 4th axis drive and an umbrella tool changer. I was thinking of purchasing a HRT 210 with a chuck and tail stock.

Would you recommend a 210 or 160?

Pneumatic or manual tailstock?

I know the following question depends heavily on what type of work you are doing, but has anyone found any particular 4th axis fixture systems HAAS or other that you use more than say a chuck or plate?

The machine also has a probing system, will the tool length probe need to be removed?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
    I have the 210, was going to buy the 160 but Geoff talked me out of it, best advice.

Make your own tombstone system for your 4th axis that ways its specific to your parts. 3 sided 4 sided etc etc also you can use pallets on the tombstone.

If I was going to run lots of 4th axis stuff and need to use the tail stock alot or have long parts with lots of work on them get a hydraulic, other wise the manual is fine. if you use a tombstone get a hydraulic it will keep constant pressure on the part or tombstone.
    Thats my only regret.

you can buy a bracket to raise the height of the tool probe so it doesnt hit the 4th axis. with a unbrella type tool changer I would reccomend it.
    of you can make one as its only alum 1" thick