Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm excited to be a member of this community.

I'm planning to start a build for a small, desktop CNC router. I'd like to use it for cutting foam for castings and possibly for engraving aluminum, probably using a laminate trimmer/router for the spindle and all-thread for the drives (possibly ACME screws later). The idea is I'll get some experience building a smaller machine then possibly tackle a mini-mill conversion.

At this point I'm not as worried about the mechanical parts as the electronics. I've done some research, and so far the best candidate I've found for the money is the HobbyCNC PRO kit. They offer the kit with 3 sizes of motors: 130oz-in, 205oz-in, 305oz-in. From their description, the 130's are light duty, the 205's are good all around and faster than the 305's, and the 305's are the most powerful.

The price difference isn't that significant, so what would you suggest? Should I go with the most powerful 305's or stick with the faster speed of the 205's? Would you recommend another company altogether? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep the costs down for my first CNC project.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!