587,781 active members*
2,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Power

Hello all, I am hoping to get a little electrical/electronic help from the gurus on the "ZONE".

I am somewhat satisfied with my current set up but if I didnt try for more I would still have handwheels on my 44991 rather than having to search for any of the original parts I uncrated in my driveway two and a half years ago.
    Ok, On to what I would like some assistance with from the people who know these things.
    I am currently running a McMillian 90vdc 2200 watt treadmill motor. If I am calculating right I would need 24.4 amps for that motor to run at peak. I am running a MC-60 treadmill controller board which I believe puts out 6 amps. Would it be possible to connect two in a parallel circuit to double the amps? This would get me closer to peak amps. That brings on a couple more questions such as how would I connect my C-6 board as it connects to the MC-60 board. Would I then require a capacitor or bank of them maybe to say act as a field (hope I have my terms right)? I'm sure there is probably a better way of doing what I want/need to do but I havent got a clue about these things.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Bruce

Nothing from nobody? Please

A few observations, I have found that T.M. motor specs drastically over rated, power wise, think about it, who hooks a treadmill up to a wall socket that will support a 3hp motor?
    The drive only supplies the current demanded of it, you could use a 100amp controller, but if the motor only demands 6 amps, this is what will flow, regardless of the controller capability.
    It is similar to the automotive rating for your car alternator, typically it may be rated for 100 or 150 amps, if you look at the size of it, how long do you think it would last if a constant current of this nature were demanded of it?
    If the current controller will not supply the current that the motor is capable of, then maybe a larger drive could be looked at.
    What is the issues right now with the present controller, if it goes into current limit or other symptoms, you could look at a KB or Baldor of sufficient size.
    Many come up on ebay.
    Is this a DC brushed (permanent magnet field) or AC/DC Universal motor?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

First off, Thanks to you Al for you taking time to respond to my questions. My main concern is the motor runs fairly well and has power to do alot of things I do but I would like to see if I can get more torque to turn a drill bit or face mill a little "better". Most of the parts I do are aluminum or plastic, so I dont need a whole lot of torque but I am still not at manufacturer suggested chip loads. I have watched to spindle and the steppers and the tool rotation will slow before the steppers start missing steps then all heck and so on.

The motor I am running is a McMillan PM DC motor as listed here ...
    http://www.mcmillanelectric.com/inde...ntPieceId=7230

I have looked at the KB and Baldor but the money just isnt there to buy one of those and then rebuild my cabinet to house the new control. It may boil down to that being the only altrernative but I was hoping to do something with stuff I already have.

Thanks again for your time.
    Bruce

Going by the frame size I doubt very much whether this capable of 2.2Kw.
    Getting a larger controller will not increase your HP.
    You most likely require a larger motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

OK, Just for grins would it be possible to connect two MC-60 controller boards in parallel and then be able to control it/them with a C-6 board.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

You would be better off replacing the switching devices with beefier ones that parallel two boards which most likely not be successful.
    Al.

Albert E.