588,657 active members*
5,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How to improve Jet Benchtop mill

How to improve Jet Benchtop mill

Hi all,
    I have a Jet (chinese import) benchtop mill. The standard variety with the tapered gibs. I cannot seem to adjust the gibs with those adjustment screws. There is tons of slop. If I take the slop out, it binds. Even with the slop, it binds. I rarely use the machine, because it is such an exhausting chore to turn the handles. The leadscrews also rattle, when I turn them.

I would like to recondition this machine so that it works properly. Eventually I would like to make it a cnc machine. Does anyone have advice on how to go about doing this? I have two granite surface plates, and a vibratory scraper that I made from scratch.

I do not like the tapered gib design. Has anyone retrofited a different gib setup on this type of machine?

Will I need an engine hoist to take the mill table apart?

Thanks.

the gibs work fine. what i find mostly to be a pain is the fact that
    1. make sure your lead screw bushing holders are in alignment with the screw. i had to shim mine to get it to work well.
    2. i also tapped my gib adjusting screw holes for a fine thread instaed of a coarse thread.
    3. your gib screw on the end of the gib maybe interfering with being able to screw it in far enough. i had to turn mine down in a lathe so it would clear the clearance in the table.

#3 was probably the most critical since after i did this i was able to put tension on the gibs by wedging them further in. the decreased the necessity on the side gib adjusting screws. although all these mill are different and yours might have different problems than mine.

I have a 87 model jet 15. There are adjustment screws to take up the backlash in x&y travel. Pull the machine forward off the bench about 6 inches. BE CAREFULL not to pull forward to much. . You can adjust from under the machine. The other is on the right side under the x table, move table to center. A long 5mm allen wrench will work great..

My gib screws and gibs have play also. The slot is to big or the screw. I will be making new ones in a couple days to fit the slot better.