588,390 active members*
5,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Endmills for cutting splines

Endmills for cutting splines

Does anyone know a place that sells endmills for cutting splines? Seems to me I've seen somewhere but I cant recal.

The drawing calls for:

16/32DP
    30 Deg PA
    1.750 Major Dia
    1.589 Minor Dia
    27 Teeth

Looks like an involute style.

I need and endmill since I am making this part on a VMC, also it is very close to a shoulder.

Thanks for any info

Could you put a hob on arbor and run this? Not aware of a standard endmill to do this? Heck...... that's why I visit this site though, I always keep learning! I am sure you could find some kind of a hob with those demensions required and run it off an arbor in a e/m holder and side machine it.

Using an endmill and cutting right on your centerline, you won't get a radiused minor diameter. I suppose you could index the shaft so each spline flute is vertical, and side mill them, and at least get a faceted minor diameter.

Is this a production situation or a one off?

I've never seen any commercial offering of endmills that will do this. I can well imagine the extreme delicacy of the tip of such an endmill, resulting in a short useful life for the tool.

I would side mill it. For a single job, grind up a flycutter and make a little arbor to hold it in a regular endmill holder. However, grinding the tool requires a sample spline to test the tool shape. If you have a male spline sample, you can cast an inverse off of it with a bit of plaster of Paris, then you've got a gauge to grind and fit the tool to.

For production, you could likely get a tool grinding shop to custom make the tool, using something like a woodruff cutter as a basis to begin from. A small woodruff cutter might get you within 3/8" of a shoulder. If you must get closer to the shoulder than that, you'd almost be looking at some sort of EDM procedure.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can cut on the side of the part with a form milling side mill or end mill.

www.tmfmllc.com www.ashgear.com Ash might rent one if it's a short run or one-off.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I ended up getting one custom ground for me. It is for a one-off job. I had to go with an endmill since the splines stop very close to a chamfer. Minor diameter is not a big deal, they just need it to fit nicely in the female socket. Thanks for he help