588,563 active members*
5,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Minttea Need information on Bridgeport Explorer x-26

Minttea Need information on Bridgeport Explorer x-26

I work in Maintenance at Ford Motor Co. as a toolmaker. We have a Bridgeport Explorer X-26 which needs some TLC. I have been unable to find the manuals for this machine, and have a few issues which are still unresolved. First, where can we get reprinted manuals? One of the other problems is that the chip guards were bent. Having taken the table and saddle off and successfully straightening the chip guards and replacing them, I have a gap at the rear of the table (3\8") which would allow chips and debris to get to the ball screw. The gap only appears when the table is moved to the front of the machine (+Y axis) and of course when it is homed at the beginning of the initial machine set up. Although the ways are covered with a neoprene flap, I have never seen a mill have such a gap which would expose the internal parts as this does. I am wondering if there is a part missing which might pull the chip guard plates forward a little sooner to prevent the gap from appearing. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Try machinemanuals.net for books on CDROM or Ebay.
    I am assuming you have a series 1 machine. I thought the nut bracket moved the knee cover plates. Is it possible one is reversed?
    There is a gap of 3/8 to a half inch at the end of the knee between the knee and column. If the plates get any closer to the column they will catch on the stop for knee up (on the way down) and bend. This stop is a screw on the column between the knee ways.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi minttea
    You said you had it all apart, when you put it back to gether the sliding cover can only go one way on some of these, it has a offset slot in it, I think you may have to turn it around to fix it, there should be no opening/gaps when the plates are the right way round
    Mactec54

Bridgeport Explorer X-26 cnc

Thank You, machintek, and mactec54 for your responses. Here is a site with what looks to be the same machine we have: http://www.americanmachinery.com/mills54.htm Anyone know how to distinguish between a series 1 / series 2?
    Based on a feature on the chip guards, and the knee casting ,the present assembly is oriented according to a relief, which I believe to be designed to allow clearance for the lube line which connects from a manifold on the top of the saddle and travels through a hole down to the ball nut. As it is right now, the reliefs all line up in the same place, conveniently surrounding the lube line when the table moves to the front (+y) of the machine. Changing the orientation would put this relief on the opposite corner, and completely away from the lube line, and I can see no other purpose or obstacle for such a relief. There are also some "witness marks" on one end of both plates, apparently from contacting the mounting casting for the y drive motor at the front of the machine in the past. From the picture on the above link, you can see that the chip guards and ways are covered with a neoprene flap, (both front and back) so I did not notice if the gap appeared prior to disassembly of the machine. I am ASSUMING not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chip Guard Opening.jpg  

Hi minttea

It seems that you have them the right way round,do you have the covers on that hold the way wipers, these are about 3/8 thick my be a little more
    Mactec54

Series 1 has dove tail ways.
    Series 2 had box ways and more travel, sliding metal guards on both sides of the table and a air assisted knee.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)