588,484 active members*
5,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Captain L370M OSP-P100

Okuma Captain L370M OSP-P100

Hello,

After a power outbreak this machine will not turn on, all it does is to show the 3 red error leds being on as well as 1 green at the power unit (see attached pictures for actual error status and error definition from the machine's manual), I have status (H) of that definition.

I have performed the reset process in that manual without luck, have also checked the battery-pack voltage and it seems to be ok. The servo, spindle and turret drives look also ok, their displays are on.

The other power supplies inside the cabinet (100 vac and 24 vdc) have their voltages accordingly. What else can I check? Please help, any and all the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg   b.jpg  

Pictures

I'm still stuck here...I guess it'll be a problem within the power supply (a.k.a. Power Unit). I wouldn't want to take off the whole unit for inspection, if I'd do so, I'd have to disconnect the battery pack from it and there are no system disks around in case the data vanishes. :drowning:

Pictures attached...thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

with power-related things like this its better to get Okuma service people in to fix it. that way if they drop all your parameters and system files it is their problem to fix it. if you mess it up you'll have a non-working machine, or you'll discover what high voltage is and what it does to a person standing on the ground when they touch the wrong thing

1. what does it means not turn on ? If servo, spindle and turret drives look also ok, their displays are on the machine is powered on and OSP started correctly.
    2. If there is no image on OSP, check if it is not switched off by special button on OSP, which must be lit right now
    3. what the machine was doing when power outbreak happens?
    4. fuses, circuit breakers?
    was there some intervention to backup battery unit? disconnection? is it connected properly?
    Read the manual of the machine, what are precautions of battery disconnection. Normally it's possible to disconnect it safely when main is on.
    The battery issue can't be an obstacle for OSP start

Thanks for answering Fordav11 and Algirdas, sorry for the long delay, I have been trying to find a solution for this issue, here's an update.

This machine has the following components: x, z, turret and spindle drives, along with their power supply, all these have displays which are lit at the moment but that doesn't mean they are enabled, the dc bus for them is not energized yet.

Plus there's the cpu, interface and power unit (low power unit) forming a standalone module. The last mentioned component is where the battery pack is connected, and as mentioned earlier, I didn't want to unplug it. There's also a module labeled POS UNIT and an I/O module rack inside the electric cabinet.

I was able (without schematics) to track down the ON/OFF circuit, the signals should get from the POS UNIT to the low power unit, however, even thought the POS UNIT has 24 vdc to work, it is completely dead (see picture). Having found this, I simulated the ON/OFF signals within the low power unit and the cnc started up, the cpu got energized and the hard disk started loading the software (OS booting), I can tell that because of the yellow led showing activity, then I turned it OFF and that's when I found out another thing, the battery pack is not intended to backup parameters or stuff as in other kind of machines. What it does is to support the CPU power until it shuts off in case of a power failure (it slowly powers off by itself if you disconnect the main switch without ending the operating system first).

But even thought I did all this, the machine is still dead, the screen monitor is dead, the only thing I can bring to life is the computer, all the machine side is dead. I am thinking the POS UNIT is the bad component, as I see it, it is responsible of the start-up sequence, but it's not working. It is been supplied with 24 vdc but it's still dead.

Any ideas? Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg   b.jpg   c.jpg  

get the 24V unit fixed first then test it again. if still the same start looking deeper and do more tests.

additional to fordav11 advice.
    POS unit itself is the first suspect.
    Don't worry about parameters. They are triple backed for this control.
    situation is clear in details now. What about cause of all this mess? What was initial reason of fault?

I have checked the POS unit and the first module of the I/O rack (which seems to be the interface for this rack), both of these components seem to be ok. The POS unit has 5 pcbs inside, they all show no obvious damage. I checked the most common-to-fail components like relays, triacs, resistors, capacitors, regulators, etc.; they all tested fine. So I guess the failure will be in another component of the machine

Do you know of someone or somewhere where I can get (buy) a copy of the electrical drawing book for this machine?

Okuma Captain lathe, type L370M, year 2006, OSP-P100.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I O's rack 1st module.JPG   I O's rack 1st module label.JPG   POS Unit.JPG   POS Unit label.JPG  

it's not that old. you should be able to get electrical diagrams from Okuma directly

Update:

There are 2 wires coming out from the negative side (-) of the 24 vdc power supply, both labeled N24. They go from there to the low-voltage circuit breakers and then receive names N24A, N24B and N24D. The positive side (+) of the power supply is named P24 and goes to ground (yes, to ground).

I found one of the N24 wires being cut loose exactly at its connecting terminal, inside its white plastic label, don't know how that happen, the machine had recently arrived from a long distance trip when it was purchased used, perhaps vibration had something to do. This failure was somehow hard to diagnose because no schematics were available. Now that the machine is working, I found a guy over the internet who will sell us a copy, and we´ll buy it of course.

Thanks for the help!