587,997 active members*
1,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > I'm a Happy Puppy, I fired up my New lathe tonight!
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool I'm a Happy Puppy, I fired up my New lathe tonight!

Wow, I fired up my New lathe tonight, it's awsum! :cheers:
    I was so happy to find it was a 1:1 lathe, not one of those 1:2 lathes! Everything sounds so sweet, even at 2000 RPM!

I Spent 2hr with a 6' crowbar and a block of metal, lifting each corner and shimming with different thickness blocks and sheetmetal, until I got down to .0015 thick paper! Now that puppy is level!

I ran a 20ft piece of Romex electrical cable to the box on the lathe, just as a temp hookup of 220VAC, then I took a deep breath and pressed the start button!
    Wow! It fired right up, no problems!

My new lathe is so clean, I hate to use it, but duty calls!

What I need now is a DRO, or at least the scales for the X & Y axis for now!
    The lathe is a 13x40, and does not have a lot of height on the tailstock side of the carrage cross slide, so I will require a low profile unit!
    The cross slide travel is 6.875", the saddle travel is 35.25"

My mill has a Mitutoyo KA Counter, I was hoping I could swap the DRO between machines, untill I make enough to buy a second one!

The other item I need is a curved guard to go over the chuck, so the hot stuff doesn't get in my face! What's a good brand?

I will be busy all weekend installaing floresesnt lights, and building the partition down the center of my garage floor!

This is a dream come true! :wee:

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0529.jpg   000_0514.JPG  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Nice one Eric,
    Make you just want to stand back and admire it................... or is that what you have been doing since it got set up

A DRO, I need to get one of those for my lathe as well, makes life so much easier.

My lathe was clean like that once, now....well.....someday......maybe.....no..not ever going to look like that again.

Cool

Thanks Ken!

The Birmingham Lathe came with a nice 8" 3-jaw chuck, but it has solid jaws for internal & external holding. What I need is a chuck with bolt on jaws, so that I can make "soft jaws" for easy production! It came with a real 4-jaw chuck, not a faceplate with jaws!

The lathe has no provisions for a flood coolant pump, so I may need to drill the pan to place a box or bucket under the lathe to act as a sump! Man I hate the idea of drilling holes in this new machine, but I need to mount a light fixture too!

The only complaint I have is the manual is really cheesy, there is one picture for the wiring in the electric box, and it is unreadable! I have called the salseman in Daytona, and he's going to FAX me the full diagram for the machine! That way if I ever have problems with the relays, I'll be able to trace down the problems!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

Like Homer Simpson would say: aaaggghhhg.. mmmm new lathe...

That is one sweet machine man, congrats. Tell us as much as you can about: price, where you buy it, how much it weighs and how in the world you got it unloaded. Any pics of the crate and installing process? (I know. Who's gonna be worrying about stupid pics when all you want is to rip the box open!!). Also, help us nubs and clarify what a 1:1 is vs 1:2.

JR

Cool

Actually on some older lathes, one division on the dial cut two on the diameter! Needless to say, it was a pain in the A$$! This lathe will remove .001 per 1 division on the dial, as it should be!

Actually, you are correct! I was so excited when the truck pulled up with my machines, that for three hours of off-loading, un-crating, pushing, lifting, rolling, and crowbaring the two machines into my garage, I forgot to take pictures! Sorry!

Most of the pictures I did take are in this link!
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...2&page=2&pp=15

I purchaced two machines, a new 13x40 lathe, and a used 6x12 surface grinder, and a used 6" Kurt mill vise, all for $5175

Then it cost me $170 to have it delivered to my house from the distributer 75 mils north of me in Daytona. I swung a deal with a local Car transporter, who had a car pickup in my town. They only charged me a one-way trip, as they picked the car up on the return!

Then with the help of an old friend, we muscled the two machines in position in just three hours! I owe him a Big Steak dinner, and free tool room survice for life!

Nex, I order a heavy duty Phase converter for the Surface Grinder and its sump pump, as they are both 3-phase 220VAC. That cost me $111.95 from Enco

Then I ordered a serious floor mat, that was made from old tires! It is 36" X 72" 5/8" and cost $85 from Enco

Then, I have hired an electrician to hook up the phase converter, and run a line into the breaker box! That cost is undtermined as of today!

Oh yea, I have also ordered a 5C collet closer drawbar attachment, that cost me $600 Ouch! (dealer price)

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0536.jpg   000_0535.jpg   000_0537.jpg   000_0538.jpg  

000_0512.JPG  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Ah yes, the 1:2 effect. I attributed that to the fact that you're cutting the front AND the back of the material as it turns in the lathe. I get it now.

Not a bad price and low delivery charge too. Wow $600 for a drawbar. It better do your laundry too for that much dough. Hey, Daytona as in FL? I just found out today I have an MSC and Grainger warehouses 15 mins from my house in Miami. MSC has the 3 ph converter on sale right now as well as some DROs and 5C collet sets (18 for $79).

JR

Cool eBay winnings!

So far on eBay I have won a 1/8-3/4 ball bearing Jacobs drill chuck with a #3 morse taper shank, to be used in the tailstock!

Also, I have won a tri-bearing live center with a #3 morse taper shank for use in the tailstock.

Then I won a Weldon Tap sharpening fixture with accessories, for use on the surface grinder!

More goodies for my new shop!
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JacobsDrillChuck.jpg   livecentre.jpg   WeldonTapSharpeningFixture.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JRoque
    Ah yes, the 1:2 effect. I attributed that to the fact that you're cutting the front AND the back of the material as it turns in the lathe. I get it now.

Not a bad price and low delivery charge too. Wow $600 for a drawbar. It better do your laundry too for that much dough. Hey, Daytona as in FL? I just found out today I have an MSC and Grainger warehouses 15 mins from my house in Miami. MSC has the 3 ph converter on sale right now as well as some DROs and 5C collet sets (18 for $79).

JR

Everything goes on sale after I buy it, that's the way things work in Florida! (chair)
    www.widgitmaster.com

I hate you (as in envy).

So... showing my noob-ness.. are you planing to CNC your new lathe or will you be twisting knobs? I kinda like the levers and handles on the lathe. It'd be nice to CNC it for some things but still keep the handles on so it can be manually operated.

JR

The chicken or the egg?

It would be my luck, to dismantle my new lathe and end up needing a lathe to do the CNC conversion!
    I'll stick with the handles and leavers!

Oh yeah, I just won 40 pcs of 7/8 OD 12L14 allow steel (Leadloy) Not sure what I'm going to use it for, but it sure does cut nice! 4 1/16 inches long each.

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

Hey nice lathe Eric, hell nice milling machine, nice surface grinder (I crave your garage) . Hey I,m in Daytona, whats the name of the distributor that you got your lathe from?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe
    Hey nice lathe Eric, hell nice milling machine, nice surface grinder (I crave your garage) . Hey I,m in Daytona, whats the name of the distributor that you got your lathe from?
    "SNIPE", now that's an old NAVY term!
    Definition:
    Slang term for a member of the Engineering Department working below decks.
    Other affectionate terms for engineers are Bilge Rats and Black Gang (from the days of shoveling coal).

The name of the distributor in Daytona is

Sierra Victor
    610-B Oak Place
    Port Orange, FL 32127

They have five warehouses filled with old used machines, parts, accessories, tools, jigs & fixtures, including used CNC machines!

A neet place to visit & drool!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

Thats who I suspected you got it from, I had called there once but they seemed a little high priced when comparing to Grizzly however for the large stuff like you got they are probably right in the same ballpark. Yeah I,ve been meaning to check that place out( they are less than a mile from my house).

Cool

Today, I managed to offload all the lumber I needed to build the partition wall down the center of my garage! I nailed the whole wall together on my driveway, then at noon, when my girlfriend showed up, we picked the wall up and pushed it in the garage! As she leaned against it, I made a little brace at the bottom center to hold the wall up!

Tomorrow, I'll fasten it to the concrete floor and celing joists. Then I'll add a long shelf above the lathe, to hold all the little stuff! Then I have to saw a hole in the wall, so as to gain access to the lathe's electric boxes! I'll screw a plate of it from the open side of the wall!

That's enough for one day, I'm tired and hungry!

Oh Yea, I won the bid on the Tap Sharpening fixture in eBay! :banana:

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0539.JPG   000_0544.JPG   000_0545.JPG   000_0546.JPG  

000_0547.JPG  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Hi Eric

Great looking lathe!!

I took delivery of a new Mini lathe this week also and know the buzz you are on!!!!

Mine is a bit scruffy already after nealry 8hrs today non stop of turning and drilling bars for a new 1000mm * 1000mm milling machine I am building.

Went for a Warco WD250 this end as it had the 26mm spindle bore to take the 25mm bars I am turning.

All good fun and well pleased, must admit.
    Have not even cleaned off the yucky oil that it was lagged in yet, just greased the coggs, oiled her up and started playing!

Regards

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    The chicken or the egg?

It would be my luck, to dismantle my new lathe and end up needing a lathe to do the CNC conversion!
    I'll stick with the handles and leavers!
    Eric
    I don't know Eric after spending all day on me new lathe doing repeat tasks on bars, I reckon I will go for adding a few steppers on mine pretty soon as repeating a job over and over a few time soon got me bored of turning handles.
    As my main tasks for the new machine is boring holes, it defo gonna be fun mounting a stepper onto the tailstock!

It is surprising how smooth a cut you get when switching from manual turning to power turning and letting the leadscrew feed the cutting tool for you.
    So be interesting to see how it performs with a bit of gcode and a couple of steppers.

Regards

Sean.

Good on you too Sean. Nice looking machine. It seems it has a variable speed control? If I ever CNC my lathe I'll be sure to use low cogging motors so I can keep the handles there too. I really like grabbing a knob and giving it a twist. The only thing where CNC has an advantage is making compound movements that would otherwise be difficult by hand - IMHO. When you have an "el cheapo" lathe like mine, there's never a dull moment while trying to keep it from falling apart.

Eric, is the dividing wall's purpose to hold/store stuff or just to dual purpose the garage?

JR

Cool

Eric, is the dividing wall's purpose to hold/store stuff or just to dual purpose the garage?

JR

Actually, I'm trying regain my garage! My car has been outside in the sun and salt air for a year, and its not good for it! The wall will have two purposes, one is to keep the debris off the car, two is the have a place to hang stuff and shelves to store stuff! Right now, my garage is one big mess!

Also, hurricaine season is fast approaching, and I want my car in the garage to protect it! Already this evening, the weather channel reported tornadoes in the Titusville area, just a few miles north of where I live! Now that's scary!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CLaNZeR
    I don't know Eric after spending all day on me new lathe doing repeat tasks on bars, I reckon I will go for adding a few steppers on mine pretty soon as repeating a job over and over a few time soon got me bored of turning handles.
    Have you ever tried making a drill holder for the tool post, then you can power feed the drill in the part! No turning handles either! Once you dial the tool post parallel to the spindle, then put the drill in the chuck and bring the tool holder on to the driill and lock it in position ( assuming you have an Aloris tool post)
    I use them all the time, and have a drill chuck mounted on the tool post as well!
    Doing it from the tool post is more accurate, as you can make the carrage stop control the drills depth!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0548.jpg   000_0549.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Hi JR

Yes has variable speed with digital rev counter, 0-2500 RPM.
    Not a bad price for UK, just under £1000 in US thats about $1700
    comes with 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck and usual steady's and extras.

Not as big as widgitmasters with 22" between centers and 10" over bed, but does the job.

Know what you mean about about using a old lathe, I am not gonna even talk about what I was using before this came along LOL!!!!!

I think you are right about always keeping the handles as 80% of the things I would still do using manual I as I do not think you can beat the feel of a machine, especially when you have to go back and do a extra passes because the cut just did not feel or look right.
    I think CNC'ing it would be more for repatative jobs I plan to do.

Regards

Sean.

Good on you too Sean. Nice looking machine. It seems it has a variable speed control? If I ever CNC my lathe I'll be sure to use low cogging motors so I can keep the handles there too. I really like grabbing a knob and giving it a twist. The only thing where CNC has an advantage is making compound movements that would otherwise be difficult by hand - IMHO. When you have an "el cheapo" lathe like mine, there's never a dull moment while trying to keep it from falling apart.

JR

Page 1 of 2 12