587,220 active members*
2,774 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question 6040 CNC Power Requirements

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting one of the chinese cnc's and need some help figuring out the biggest machine I can get away with. I'm living in an apartment with garage, but the garage has only a single power outlet. It's 110V, but I can not be sure if my garage circuit is rated for 15 or 20 amps. I feel like 15A is the safest assumption given the condition of the garage.

Ideally, I'd like to get the 6040 with .8 kw spindle and a VFD capable of operating off 110V 1 phase input power. I seem to remember seeing automationdirect VFDs like this one:

GS2-11P0

being mentioned on these forums. Here's my question: I see the rated input current for this VFD is 16A. What does this measurement mean? Is it saying 16A is the most the VFD can handle if my motor suddenly begins to draw a ton of power like if I'm cutting aggressively enough to stall it?

If the spindle is rated at .8kW, is that its maximum power under a heavy load? Or should I expect it to draw that much power on average?

I've seen the calculations for finding current from power at a given voltage, but don't know how to apply it here. Do I use the VFD input voltage if I'm interested in the total amperage drawn by the VFD and motor? Using an online converter I calculate the spindle itself will draw only 2.3A, but that's at a constant output power of 800w, with 240V 3PH input. How much 110V current is my VFD drawing from the wall to source that?

Lastly, does anyone have experience running a whole system off a single 15A circuit? I mean computer, monitor, VFD, and stepper power supply? Am I asking too much here? Can I even run a stock 3040 with their 200W DC spindle?

I'm planning mostly on milling circuit boards and making parts out of plastic and wood, but milling aluminum is something I hope to be able to do without too much strain.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Re: 6040 CNC Power Requirements

Dear

If you choose 8kw spindle , should use 3 phase power , at least from China machine , it need 3 phase power .

Jinan JCUT CNC Equipment Co., Ltd
    Web: www.jcutcnclaser.com
    Mobile: 86-15589961121
    Tel: +86-531-82374653,
    email: [email protected]

Re: 6040 CNC Power Requirements

The 6040's don't pull much power at all, I upgraded mine to a Gecko G540 with a beefy 48VDC power supply, and off a single 10A (230V) fuse board I ran the machine, the lighting, and a 1500W dust extractor no problem, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

I routinely machined aluminium as well this way.

I now have a massive 6090B running off the same 10A feed along with the lighting, coolant pump, 1.5kW spindle, and the same dust extractor for jobs that run upwards of 8 hours at a time.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!