587,657 active members*
6,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Kitamura > Thru Tool Pump; It Works, It doesn't

Question Thru Tool Pump; It Works, It doesn't

The through the tool coolant pump is going out on our 2000, Mycenter 3X1. It takes a while to come on sometimes. If it hasn't been used for a while it takes about 10 minutes to get going.

We replaced the o-ring on the filter and I believe it's sealed up good. If it draws any air it loses prime in the pump. Kitamura wants around $3500 for the pump. I ordered a Dayton High Pressure Pump instead. There will be a lot of work to fit the new pump, it's a different style. This one is more vertically mounted instead of horizontally. Price on the new Dayton is $1315 from Grainger.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem/situation? Any comments or help is appreciated.
    Still working in the "D".

Don't know what pump the KIT uses, but the grundfous pumps will do that after a few years. They need to be taken apart and clean the inside of the stainless impellers. They build up with very small fine chips that blocks the inlet of the impellers. The replacement groundfous pumps are available a lot cheaper through pump companies. Usually about half of factory.

Good point. I was thinking it may be chips built up somewhere. I ordered the new pump, however before we put it on I'll go through the lines and make sure it's just not some kind of obstruction or build up. I can always send the pump back to Grainger if I don't use it.

Thanks,
    Don

Adapting the new Dayton pump looks like an adventure to say the least. This pump needs 7 1/2 inches of coolant level to operate properly. Before we modify the pump and coolant tank to accept this new pump I'm taking another look at it.

Another engineer and myself priced out a new (OEM) pump which was nearly $4000. Our repairman doesn't want to open up the old one because he feels parts are not available and has never rebuilt one. This is a Japanese pump that came with the machine. We sent the pump out to a repair facility and they tell us the seals are shot. Total cost to repair will be under $500.00. Seals are on order and we should have the pump back in less than a week.

The Dayton pump was $1300, so rebuilding the pump is a real bargain. Looks like this problem is solved.

Pump has been rebuilt and installed. It works just like it should. Case closed.