587,236 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New MTW MD001

So I ordered a bunch of stuff last week and starting to get it here now.

IH clone I hope will be here Friday so I have the weekend to set it up. ALso ordered some vises and collets from Glacern Machine tools.

I want to put as 3Hp with VFD on it. What brand motor and VFD would be the best bet. Also is there anywhere that sales a conversions kit for Bet drive system?

any tips and pointers on setting this up would be great.

Here is the shots of the new toys .

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 028.jpg   029.jpg   026.jpg  

Congrats. Very nice tools for the MD001. What was the lead time of your mill from MTW? You may need some tools to do fine tuning or checking. Such as something like 1-2-3 block or precision squares.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgoatfab View Post
    Here is the shots of the new toys .
    I have that caliper, it's a good one!

Jeremy

mill is here

So the mill is here and in the shop on the floor. Pictures of how we got it home from the unloading dock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   007.jpg   012.jpg   016.jpg  

014.jpg  

Looks nice! What type of job are you going to use this machine for?

Well first few things is drill a lot of holes and build some parts for a plasma table in the workks.

From there who knows I want to full cnc the unit and make other cool stuff.

Gary

What were the shipping costs to the US? Lead time?

shipping cost

So lead time was about a little over one week from order to my door.

Shipping 475
    4.2% duty 96
    Brokerage fee 85

Total shipping 656

Been using this a lot and love it very much.

Gary

Hi Redgoatfab,
    I want to know just the height of column , it looklike so tall? Thanks.

I will mesure that in just a little while.

Here is a vidio I took of tapping 3/4-10

Tapping 3/4-10 - YouTube

How sure on how to embed it yet.

I have drilled taped like 200 1/2-13 in the last week for a plasma table I am building.

Gary

I will mesure that in just a little while.

Here is a vidio I took of tapping 3/4-10

Tapping 3/4-10 - YouTube

How sure on how to embed it yet.

I have drilled taped like 200 1/2-13 in the last week for a plasma table I am building.

Gary
    Sorry to butt in here - Just seen ye video, Im not one for gloves but in my eyes its a no no!
    I might be totally wrong here and know there tough gloves ye have on but what's most peoples thoughts?
    Id love to get some thoughts for myself here and hope you dont mind me mentioning it?

95% of the time i dont wear any gloves but its in the 30's in the shop and the steel gets cold so been hearing gloves.

Hoping to finish up the walls and get some heat in there before next winter.

Gary

95% of the time i dont wear any gloves but its in the 30's in the shop and the steel gets cold so been hearing gloves.

Hoping to finish up the walls and get some heat in there before next winter.

Gary
    Fair doos
    I only mentioned it as last year a friend of mine got dragged into a machine with golves and the poor guy plays guitar in a group - but struggles now

Redgoatfab, I will be following this post very closely I plan to get a MTW in about 7 weeks. If you do a cnc mod would you be willing to share the files and your insight from the experience? BTW the machine looks great. Was there much clean up grease clean up on arrival or was it pretty clean?

notes

Congrats on th MD001. I have one purchased last fall. Very solid, huge travels, but mine wasn't square. I've had to shim the column and the headstock to get things square and I had a guy grind the warp out of the y saddle.
    I had tried G0619, but it was so far out of whack in so many directions that Grizzly took it back for a full refund and then they discontinued the model for awhile.
    Overall I like the MD001, but I'm something of a perfectionist and so will be tweaking until I get it where I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by yooooda View Post
    Congrats on th MD001. I have one purchased last fall. Very solid, huge travels, but mine wasn't square. I've had to shim the column and the headstock to get things square and I had a guy grind the warp out of the y saddle.
    I had tried G0619, but it was so far out of whack in so many directions that Grizzly took it back for a full refund and then they discontinued the model for awhile.
    Overall I like the MD001, but I'm something of a perfectionist and so will be tweaking until I get it where I want it.
    How far was it off square in per 6"?
    Thanks

I have not gotten to far into squaring it up. Needed it to drill and tap a couple hundred holes for a project. Have the New ball screws and nuts to work on CNCing it. Also looking buying one of Arizona's belt drive converions here on the forums. Think he is about ready to sell them.

Also doing a bunch of research about converting the Z axis to linear rails. Have the solidworks drawing done just need to find out how much to get the colum machined. Found some high preload hiwin 35mm rails that would work perfect.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails column with rails.jpg  

I have not gotten to far into squaring it up. Needed it to drill and tap a couple hundred holes for a project. Have the New ball screws and nuts to work on CNCing it. Also looking buying one of Arizona's belt drive converions here on the forums. Think he is about ready to sell them.

Also doing a bunch of research about converting the Z axis to linear rails. Have the solidworks drawing done just need to find out how much to get the colum machined. Found some high preload hiwin 35mm rails that would work perfect.

Gary
    Is this Z railization more about drilling than milling?

Not quite sure what you are asking by railization.

Gary

Not quite sure what you are asking by railization.

Gary
    Hi Gary

I meant your plan to put on linear rails for Z.

I thought only need to mill out the "dove tail" to get clearance for the trucks.
    Then drill holes for mounting the rails.
    So the machining doesn't require very high precision.
    The precision is controlled by the assembling.
    Am I right about that?

Page 1 of 2 12