Hello people

I am going to attempt to build the 24" x 48" Solsylva machine, I had initially planned on building the JGRO but changed my mind at the last minute.

Over the last couple of weeks I've spent every free waking hour on my laptop researching these machines, many years ago(I started using punch cards and progressed to computer programming) I was a CNC programmer but I work in the construction industry now, building houses.

People will squirm when I say this but, we have demolished a shed in the yard of a house we bought a year ago, and I have recycled the framing members to assemble a frame 1800mm long, around 800mm wide and workbench height(900mm or so).

The machine I make will pretty much be entirely timber apart from the drive and lineal bearing systems of which I know nothing about, at all, zilch, nada, zip!!!

I'll get the G540 kit for steppers n stuff, and unless people scream for me to do otherwise I will go with rack and pinion on the X axis as it is around 1800mm long, and if I can afford it I will get fully supported rails and split pillow block bearings?

On Y axis and Z axis I'll as per plan I think, gas pipe, skate bearings, and drive screws utilising threaded rod.

No pictures yet sorry, but I do have some work completed. I'm still working on converting the dimensions in the plans to metric, and working on a working drawing. With a bit of luck I'll have these posted by the end of the week.

Any help anyone can offer would be immensely appreciated,

Cheers

Gav