I'm back from my ski trip and ready to get building my SeeMeCNC H-1 3D Printer kit. I ordered the complete kit and it arrived a week ago Saturday. I had just enough time to peek in the box. It was well packed and shipped - stuffed with peanuts.

In addition to the printer - which comes with a parallel board and cable to run from Mach3 and a PC - I wanted to learn about the Arduino platform so I ordered a Generation 6 board (from MakerFarm). In addition to supporting open source software to control the printer, it also supports Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. I plan to run from OSX in my office since my shop is all PCs running Mach but I can do that too with the included hardware. Once I have things going, I can decided what direction is best for me.

In addition to the information SeeMeCNC makes available on their web site, they have a lot of other info, STL files, etc on their alternative site SeeMeCNC.org and a related Yahoo group and there will probably be a few of us here building these as well (I know Hoss has a kit too). I talked to Steve and John at SeeMeCNC several times and they are very enthusiastic and helpful. I offered to help write their Assembly Manual for the H-1 so I'll be working on that in parallel to my build.

Here's what came in the box (everything except an ATX power supply is shown, I had the power supply connected to my Gen6 board and didn't want to take it apart to photograph):

and a closeup of the contents of the hardware package:

and some of the injection molded parts:

You can see that I've started some assembly in the photograph. More later...

cheers,
Michael