588,500 active members*
4,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turret Punch Retrofit

I need Help! I have had a technician working on two turret punches I have, but we do not seam to be getting too far with the old technology. The machines are Diacros (one Vt-36 and one Vt-19S). Both machines have the GE 500 controllers. The vintage is roughly early to late 80's? I have investigated Camsoft products for the retrofit of these machines, but after speaking with the salesman, I get a funny feeling. Am I overlooking a more cost effective solution? I am wondering if there is anyone in the bay area that still works on these machines and their controlls. The closest place I have found is in Los Angeles, but by the time all is said and done, I may spend the same amount of money fixing the old controller, that I would have spent on buying a Camsoft or equivalent product. Please point me in the right direction, or send me a contact or two. I am tired of pulling my hair out.

Camsoft would be a good choice for this type of machine. You'll need an experienced person to guide the work. A Camsoft retrofit of this would be a complex job.

Karl

how complex?

How would this be a complex retrofit. Can you be more specific? Also, do you know of anyone in my area that would partake in such a retrofit? I want to know what I am getting into, and it sounds like you may know some more specifics. Thanks for the reply

Perhaps complex is the wrong word. A turret punch operates considerably different from most CNC mills or lathes. You're going to have a lot of I/O and custom coding to do. I see Camsoft does offer a Punch.cbk in their default list of programs. I don't know if this is for a CNC turret punch.

Camsoft is an extremely capable control with a steep learning curve. Their technical help is great, but they do assume you are experienced with retrofits in general and you've spent the time learning the Camsoft control language. They are not there to teach CNC 101.

This would not be a project for a first time Camsoft retrofit person. Camsoft does have a network of Integrators (people that install retrofits for a living). Like all occupations, some are better than others. Careful selection of this person is the key to your project's success. Personally, I'd pay to ship your machine any where in the country just to get excellence.

Karl

We did a 42 station turret punch with a Fagor control (8040) used existing drives and set an encoder on the punch wheel and used it as a third axis. There were some custom tables and a PIC chip which I didn't get into. There was also a PLC program set up on the fagor. and of course I/O's that the control would like. I have only worked on it, I wasn't involved in the retrofit.
    Sparky