586,795 active members*
2,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Flipped part and chamfers are offset on x axis

Hybrid View

Re: Flipped part and chamfers are offset on x axis

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryBoi View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but are you indicating the hole center by using two opposite sides of the hole?

EDIT: For the center in x
    If you are indicating a hole you are doing the X and Y axis X0Y0 Point, this is the only way when using an indicator for this process
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you are indicating a hole you are doing the X and Y axis X0Y0 Point, this is the only way when using an indicator for this process
    I just want to confirm they're not indicating only one side and taking the radius for the x-pos. It's unlikely they would do it this way, but just as you must ask oneself if the device is indeed plugged in and turned on, you must ask oneself even the most seemingly obvious things when troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryBoi View Post
    I just want to confirm they're not indicating only one side and taking the radius for the x-pos. It's unlikely they would do it this way, but just as you must ask oneself if the device is indeed plugged in and turned on, you must ask oneself even the most seemingly obvious things when troubleshooting.
    You could not set a hole center at all, with an indicator by just touching ( 1 ) side of the hole, not even with a probe, this would not work, you have to sweep the hole with a minimum of ( 3 ) Points, for an indicator, all ( 3 ) positions must be 0.0 on the indicator to give you a X0Y0 position. using a probe you normally do ( 4 ) points
    Mactec54

You could not set a hole center at all, with an indicator by just touching ( 1 ) side of the hole, not even with a probe, this would not work, you have to sweep the hole with a minimum of ( 3 ) Points, for an indicator, all ( 3 ) positions must be 0.0 on the indicator to give you a X0Y0 position. using a probe you normally do ( 4 ) points
    Depending on the hole size, I kept a load of broken end mills of varying sizes.
    I use the shanks of these fitted into the spindle nose to line up to a drilled hole. Generally between sizes 3-8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Depending on the hole size, I kept a load of broken end mills of varying sizes.
    I use the shanks of these fitted into the spindle nose to line up to a drilled hole. Generally between sizes 3-8mm.
    Broken End Mills, where do they come from, I have hundreds of End Mills but no broken ones.

Yes this is a way to do it if you have +/- .005" on a part tolerance.

Gauge Pins or bar stock work for this rough hole location method as well.
    Mactec54

Broken End Mills, where do they come from, I have hundreds of End Mills but no broken ones.

Yes this is a way to do it if you have +/- .005" on a part tolerance.

Gauge Pins or bar stock work for this rough hole location method as well.
    + remember that, if you enter side 1 from say bottom left and flip it over left to right. Enter side 2 from bottom right, ergo opposite side. This helps against a machine that has some backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    + remember that, if you enter side 1 from say bottom left and flip it over left to right. Enter side 2 from bottom right, ergo opposite side. This helps against a machine that has some backlash.
    Backlash is still there no matter how you look at the part, if indicating a Hole, you will see any backlash if there is any, with using a pin you won't know what or where you are with the machine backlash.
    Mactec54