588,434 active members*
5,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF-2 Jog Handle Vibrations

Haas VF-2 Jog Handle Vibrations

Hi all!

I am a newbie in this great forum and in CNC machining in general and I need your help!

We have purchased a Haas VF-2 4 months ago and we have started doing some tests on it just last month.

A potential problem we encountered is that most of the time we use the jog handle to move the table or the z-axis the machine vibrates too much.
    We have communicated with the Haas local dealer and they say that this is normal and happens because of the servo mechanism of the table, however when this happens we cannot even use an indicator to zero set a part.
    Has anyone had a similar problem?

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

My VF-4 does the same thing when travel is set at .100/notch
    Have you tried selecting the smallest increment of travel

I would say, yes, this is normal, because when using the handle, the motors are starting / stopping quickly. For indicating, use the jog lock feature for a smooth move along an axis.

Ed

I think this problem does no appear in smaller increments of travel, but still it is a problem because it makes jog handling completely unreliable in some increments of travel.
    The local Haas dealer suggested that when the vibration starts switch instantly the jog handle to handle one of the 2 rest axes and the vibration stops for a while but then it starts again. Can that be normal?
    Actually, we are afraid that the machine is not correctly set up with regard to the floor...

Sounds like your servos are hunting. They need to be tuned. Have your Haas guy come look at it.

No, they said that it is normal...

Nickitec,

Your further description strikes me as not normal. Servo "hum" can be OK to a point, but if the machine is sitting idle, and you see movement on an indicator (if this is what you are saying), this is not right. Press the issue for a warranty service call.

Ed

my vf 2 does the same thing when set to.100. Not a problem here

Quote Originally Posted by NIKITEC View Post
    No, they said that it is normal...
    Well...it's your machine. And the warantee will be up in a couple of months. Then they can charge you to fix what they should have done under warantee.
    Your call....

The rough jogging is normal, because of the quick accel/Decel at each increment. If you can hear/feel large vibrations when the machine is just sitting idle, the z axis's motor needs to have the filters adjusted. This is common due to new machines not having a counter balance, so the motor holds the head up. It is a very easy adjustment but may take a few tries to get it perfect.

Par 29 Z-Axis switches

There are 4 bits you can change to help this out, i will list them below. Only have one/two of these bits on at a time.

LOW PASS +1X 0 or 1
    LOW PASS +2X 0 or 1
    D FILTER X8 0 or 1
    D FILTER X4 0 or 1

This should help and when you get it to sound good during idle, if you have a set right it will make jogging the z-axis better too.

Make sure that you can rapid, and jog nicely too.

Hope this helps.

Yes the vibration is normal. it is different than other machine manufactures in the hand wheel mode because haas uses a different type of servo amp that doesn't respond like a fanuc. The bed does actually start and stop on each click of the handle wheel. using the jog buttons is a better alternative until you get close the part zero point. I don't remember the technicals of the amp but it does not deliver traditional (clean voltage to the servo motors) it is sent actually by duty cycle to recreate the correct signal to the motors.

Thank you for your interest and help guys!
    I will continue machining as such.
    Anyway, our warranty expires in 7 months time so we still have time to check things...