588,293 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

anybody race?

Does anybody race go karts? I do. and I am about to get into a fast truck

-garrett

I haven't raced for a few years now but I did race a dreaded Yamaha J motor on a Dino Chasis, embassaingly cheap and reliable, also slow but still a lot of fun. All the crew in the faster classes (twin yamaha s motors and twin superkart engines like Parilla etc.) continually made jokes about the J class but we would occasionally sucker them into racing a J, we could never get them to admit to enjoying racing the J but we could see that they did. What's your new toy?
    Splint

Have you ever hear of phantom racing chassis? Or ultramax? I just bought a phantom nemisis. Have you heard of the briggs and stratton overhead valve? That is the motor I run.

-garrett

I raced motocross for 28 years, switched to 125cc shifterkarts a couple of years ago when my knees and ankles said enough is enough! My son races a Yamaha KT100 kart in the Jr. sportsman class. My younger son races a KTM 50cc in motocross. I intend to use my newly aquired CNC mill to make various parts to support our racing. We also have some RC cars and BMX bikes we like to play with.

Paul

what have you made yet? or plan to make?

Cant say I'm familiar with phantom or ultramax, I assume they're made locally in the USA? Here in Australia virtually all imported karts come from Europe, stuff like Tonykart, Haase, Dino, Kali, CRG, Birell, Topkart etc. It's been a few years since I've dropped into a kart track to see what's going on. I think they're now starting to get into the 4 stroke engines, when I got out of the sport all sprint karts had 2 stroke engines, from what I understand over time they will all go to 4 stroke for environmental reasons.
    I once pit crewed for a guy at the Australian titles who had an interesting set up. Rather than run a twin engine kart with an engine on each side, he used a single engine frame (Tonykart) and made an engine mount where one engine sat in front of the other. The engines were rotary valve (Parilla if I recall correctly). The main advantage was that single engine frames are a bit more nimble than the twins. He probably would have done quiet well if he had more track time leading up to the race meeting, he's the sort of guy who only comes out to race at the big meetings once or twice a year.
    When you get your kart set up post a picture of it.

Cheers
    Splint

kart i'm the 71
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.bmp   start.bmp   stART2.bmp  

Good pics, are they shifter karts? I notice that two shots are on a dirt track one on a sealed track, you race on both? I allways raced on sealed tracks in a non gearbox kart, the the sprint karts here are more of a sit up drivers position, not so much bodywork http://www.isport.com.au/karting/karting.html . The roadrace karts are usually more of a semi lay down position http://www.racesell.com/

Cheers
    Splint

I dont race Kart, but my father did and i really enjoy the sport. My brother owns an old russian kart with a homebuilt engine on it (56hp,125cc)
    A good friend of my fathers raced i a tonykart factory team a few years back, now hes racing F3 in Britain and drove the Williams F1 test car.

Now for some pics, i only found some of the older pics, My fathers the one on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails year_2003-williams-1.jpg   IMG_0104.JPG   IMG_0106.JPG   IMG_0109.JPG  

IMG_0114.JPG