588,219 active members*
4,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Drilling Macro

I'm trying to get some help on a high speed drilling macro. I'm using Haas VF4's but the problem I have is I'm also using a 30,000 RPM Air spindle. When I use this spindle I can not use the G73 Canned cylcle (High Speed Drilling). The control requires a RPM to be programmed or it defaults to the last RPM programmed or if none then a error.

The air spindle does not have the ability to rotate so I'm at a dead end for now. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Michael

Hi Michael,

What happens if you tell it S0 for an rpm command? Does it give you an error?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There has to be a RPM # programmed other wise the control just give me an error. If I program S0 it generates spindle faults also. That's why I think a Macro would be the only way to go.

Mike,
    Just program "S1000" and "NO" M3 0r M4 on the line before the G73.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I tried that already the control gives me a range error. I even called Haas and they weren't to positive if I can override it somehow.

Michael,

What CAM system you using? If you can't mod your post to get the results you need, lemme know and I'll see if I can make you some kind of script or tiny executable to modify your GCode to run long code.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I'm running Mastercam V9.1 now, I'm trying to do that now with the post processor and then creating a sub from it. The Haas PST doesn't allow for me to output the long code, I've had some success with the Fanuc Post but it won't output the retract correctly and I've tried differen't ways so far.

This is something I made a few years ago to change drill cycles from standard peck to deep hole peck..

Instead of:

N170 G99 G83 X-.226 Y-.126 Z-.5672 R.1 Q.0785 F2.68

You would get something like:

N170 G99 G83 X-.226 Y-.126 Z-.5672 R.1 I.15 J.05 K.0785 F2.68

'Rekd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peckreducer.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Originally posted by mandrew35
    I'm running Mastercam V9.1 now, I'm trying to do that now with the post processor and then creating a sub from it. The Haas PST doesn't allow for me to output the long code, I've had some success with the Fanuc Post but it won't output the retract correctly and I've tried differen't ways so far.
    There should be a switch to use long code for drill cycles, otherwise, we can create a custom drill cycle to do it. (I've got custom cycles to do everything except wipe my a... never mind )

Since you're using 9.1, we'll be able to either mod the post, or do a vb script. Should be a peice of cake. The post would prolly be the best, as it is less obtrusive during processing.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Yeah I see your point, but I need to be able to do this without calling any M03/M04 because I have an 30,000 RPM air spindle that I'm using. The HAAS control requires either a M03/m04 for the canned cycles to work. So for now I'm gonna sub the pecking cycle in long code to get done.

Ok, I need to output the longcode for a peck drill cycle correctly, then I'll just sub it for the other 1200 hole locations. Do you need to know what POST I'm using? Let me know...

Rekd

You have me very interested in your custom programs. I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

Are these a separate program or do they run inside of another program? If they run on their own, how do you create them? I have wanted to create a couple of things for myself but I was not sure how to go about it. Any info you would share with me would be great.

Please feel free to contact me via email at

[email protected]

Thanks
    MachineSMM

Originally posted by mandrew35
    Ok, I need to output the longcode for a peck drill cycle correctly, then I'll just sub it for the other 1200 hole locations. Do you need to know what POST I'm using? Let me know...
    I'll need a copy your current post, with the .txt file, and an NC file modified to what you want the output to be.. (I don't really need the sub, but I'll need the tool change portion, with/without M3's etc.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I'll try and getthis out to you todaym if not then by tomm afternoon.

Thanks.....

Originally posted by MachineSMM
    Rekd

You have me very interested in your custom programs. I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

Are these a separate program or do they run inside of another program? If they run on their own, how do you create them? I have wanted to create a couple of things for myself but I was not sure how to go about it. Any info you would share with me would be great.

Please feel free to contact me via email at

[email protected]

Thanks
    I'll try and get an email out to you today..

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)