587,193 active members*
2,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > What is the purpose of a spoil board?

What is the purpose of a spoil board?

I would like to update to a Vacuum hold down but need to learn more about Spoil Boards in a hold down systems.
    We currently use a flat plastic top table to cut plastic sheet material into many different shapes the sizes larger than 2”. The shapes are not repeated in any order so using a dictated gasket fixture is not possible.
    We use application tape (like 16” wide masking tape) on the bottom of the plastic sheet to hold the small items together like onion skin and double face tape to hold the application tape to the table top. We cut through the plastic sheet but not the through the application tape.

I believe the spoil board is just a layer of protection. Maybe more necessary when your doing 3D or may accidentally cut below the 0 z. In this case you have a board that is replaceable and is not cutting your table top. To me it sounds like your cutting your pieces without cutting into the table top... or not even into the double stick tape.

Most production router users use spoil boards to enable them to cut through the sheet without damaging the table. Typically they are made from LDF or MDF and the sides are sealed with edge banding, paint, etc. They are resurfaced often and also refeered to as sacrifical boards, wafers,etc. Hope this helps!

Mark T.
    www.cnccustomservices.com

To answer and or explain my own question. I was asking about a spoil board used in a vacuum hold down system. I believed that there purpose must be more than to just cut into.
    As I now understand the term should be more like a bleeder board The Bleeder board passes the Vacuum from the Vacuum chamber to the surface of the Bleeder board. This gives even distribution of the Vacuum under the material being cut and also keeps Chips/Dust out of the Vacuum blowers. It also protects your table from unwanted cuts and can resurface from time to time.

I would like to find a more stable material other than MDF for a Bleeder board or a spoil board. I find that MDF works good for distribution of Vacuum but I live in the South East USA and the Moisture seams to make the board grow thicker in spots as much as .025 on some days. I would also like to get away from the brown dust created when the mdf is cut into. Is there any other material that will work as a bleeder board?