588,633 active members*
5,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How do i bypass 4000 rpm on haas TM2

How do i bypass 4000 rpm on haas TM2

Ive heard you can change the max rpm on the Haas TM2 and im wondering if anyone knows anything about this? thanks!

050804-0821 EST USA

Everyone:

Craig would really like a response.

Maybe some reasons he should not try this even if he gets information on how to to do it.

Maybe some changes in bearings, etc. that would allow a successful modification.

Maybe he would have a safety issue.

Craig:

You might add a mechanical RPM multiplier on the spindle (a planetary gear box).

Why do you want or need to increase RPM?

Changing TM max speed.

I think the lack of response is because it may not be a simple as some people have suggested. There are three parameters associated with the maximum spindle speed, here they are taken from the Haas website:

183 C MAX FREQ The frequency at which the motor will be run when maximum spindle RPM is commanded. Units:
    0.01 Hz (two implied decimal places).

80 MAX SPIN DELAY TIME The maximum delay time control will wait for spindle to get to commanded speed or to get
    to zero speed. Units are milliseconds.

131 MAX SPINDLE RPM This is the maximum RPM available to the spindle. When this speed is programmed, the Dto-A output will be +10V and the spindle drive must be calibrated to provide this.

It may be possible to change 183 and 131 by the same ratio to get a higher top speed buyt this may result in parameter 80 timing out and will almost certainly disturb the D to A output mentioned in 131.

I think it is a case of live with the 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmack
    Ive heard you can change the max rpm on the Haas TM2 and im wondering if anyone knows anything about this? thanks!
    My thoughts,
    If the machine is under warrenty I think this might be a bad call.
    If the machine has rigid tapping I think this might be a bad call.
    If you can't get someone "on the inside" at Haas to help you, I think this might be a bad call.

"Experimenting" with parameters, and not knowing what you are doing will likely cost you more money than what Haas would charge to up the spindle speed (assuming it's an option).

If it is an option, likely Haas will have it locked these days, just like the deal with 5axis etc. Just coz you have all the hardware don't mean it's going to fly. You may be required to enter a code to enable such things. So, even if the params are setup for more speed, and you have the hardware, you may still be looking at 4K tops without a password/key.

You need to talk to a "cool" Haas service guy. They would be the ONLY ones that could let you know what the deal is, if you need a password, if you have the hardware, if it's even possible.

Also, I don't think anyone who "knows" the way around your spindle speed would post the solution here. At least they shouldn't. Haas might get grumpy about that. So, if you do find a "solution" I would keep it to myself, aside from letting everyone know you were able/not able to get what you wanted.

My suggestion, tread lightly.

Best regards,
    Sean

Probabally the bottom line is to not exceed the maximum rated rpm of the spindle motor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

OK guys here's the deal. Its not common knowedge, but the spindle/motor that is used in the TM-1/-2 is the same spindle/motor configuration used in the base model Minimills (with only a few minor differances). The max RPM of the Minimills is 6000. Your right, its not as easy as just changing Parameter 131. You have to change Parameter 183 as well, keeping the ratio that you increase these two values the same. No unlock codes are needed.

I've seen a number of shops that have done this and the machines have been running constantly for over a year. Actually I know two shops (one with a TM-1 and the other with a minimill) that have their machines running at 8000rpm. The reason the TM's don't come with the spindle set tp 6000rpm becomes clear when you try cutting at those speeds. Chips and coolant fly everywere, creating a major safety concern. Its best that you built a better encloser than the ones supplied by Haas if your going to try this. Of course, as already mentioned, this mod. voids your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren
    ...Actually I know two shops (one with a TM-1 and the other with a minimill) that have their machines running at 8000rpm...
    Now you have attracted my attention!! I knew the TM1/MiniMill relationship but not having a TM1 it did not interest me. However, a base MiniMill operating at 8000 rpm I find very interesting considering I have two mostly working on aluminum with small dia cutters. Both machines are well outside their warranty so I think I will try running one up to 8000.

I tried, changed both parameters, put 8000rpm in MDI and took the spindle speed down to 20% on the override before starting. Everything behaved very close to normal up to 6400 with just a slight increase in the power draw from around 0.5Kw at 6000 to 0.8Kw at 6400. The next step up to 7200 really bogged the motor down and it took longer to do this acceleration than it takes a spindle with normal settings to go from 0 to 6000rpm, also the power draw at 7200 rpm was more than double the 6000rpm figure. So I stopped there and returned everything to factory settings. I feel quite sure the spindle delay, Parameter 80 set at 5 seconds, would timeout if I tried going from 0 to 8000 in one jump and I am not game to enter a longer delay. Anyway on production adding several seconds to each tool change just to reduce the cutting time for one or two tools doesn't make much sense.