Hi,
I have a Taig mill with the Deskcnc/Imservice 3 axis system. I have run some of the demo files and am ready to begin drawing my parts.

I have not tried any CAD/CAM software other than the Deskcnc CAM that came with the system.

I want to do 2, 2.5D, 3D and intend to purchase a 4th axis in the near future.

Being new to this, I am looking for advice on which demo's to try first.

My budget is about $1500. What are the best CAD/CAM bundles in that price?

I think CAD/CAM 2, 2.5, 3D plus 4th axis is a lot to ask for, for that price.

I have seen some of the toolpath options in the nicer CAM software. It seems that good CAM can make a considerable difference in finishes and toolpath efficency.

I have looked briefly at software like Rhino 3.0, DeskProto 4.0 , VisualMill 5.0 Basic, Alibre Design, Vector Cad Cam,

I could see myself doing many projects that would be 2.5D. Milling pockets and islands on one side then flipping the part over and preforming similar work.

I read something about Deskproto having support for keeping a part in 'regestration' while turning it over to mill the other side.

I think I could accomplish this by putting 'placement or locator pins' in out of the way areas on my work and tooling plate. Other software has similar functions I assume?

Another possibility might be to use a combination of several, less expensive, tailored software like Sheet Cam and Mesh Cam, turbocad?

I have a lot of learning to do here. I guess what I'm asking is..

Do some CAD demos work better with some CAM demos? If so what are some good demo combinations in order of complexity? Maybe I should start with the less complicated demos first?

Thanks again, Chuck.