587,997 active members*
2,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > just bought a bridgeport BTC-1 need some info

just bought a bridgeport BTC-1 need some info

i just purchased a BTC-1 for 1200$ it came with 20 collets and some manuals.

i need to figure out how to get it to my house first but i had a couple of questions for people who might have one

any one have any experience with these?? does it run off of a PC or take floppys?? or tape etc..

i trained on master cam and mach 2 i know a little G code, i know it runs on boss 7.2

basicly anything i should know about to useing this machine would be great, im well aware of some of the bad reveiws and the good ones

thanks!!

deleted due to bad facts see above
    jh

The BTC-1 does not require a PC to operate. A PC can be used to upload and download via RS-232 and also there are some G-code options not available on the
    pendant that will be usable via PC or tape. I have had mine for a little over 3 yrs now
    and it still running like a champ. It does require some fussing with now and again but
    I expect that with 27 yr old electronics and wiring. There is plenty of support here for you as there are a few of us still making chips and money with them. See thread BTC-1 Clubhouse. Be sure to check your incomming 3ph power. There were three voltage flavors 208v 3ph, 230v 3ph and 460v 3ph. If you have the Installation manual then follow it closely relating to voltages. Mine was damaged by the machine tool reseller by hooking up 230v to my 208v machine. I am currently running mine now from a 10hp rotophase. I used a buck/booster to drop my 242v 1ph down to 212v prior to the rotophase. If you dont have installation manual PM me with your email and I will sent the needed pages to you.
    Have Fun.
    Stephen

By the way, Powertron servo motors, not steppers.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mistake on earlier post. I was thinking of BP mill with series II frame, 4J head, tool changer, console with umbilical like early nc mills. Sigma or Superior steppers. Very complex machine. We revived one on dealer's floor with ahha design drives and software. 15 years have ticked by. BNC ? any help appreciated.
    jh

Maybe a BTC2.
    It was a beast!

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i was checking in the BTC clubhouse, i noticed a few people were starting retro fits but they never updated the status of them. i'd really like to run this thing on mastercam but if i have to run the BOSS programming i'll figure it out

this unit is going in my garage i have 220 2phase the machine is coming with a converter is there anything i need to do to my homes electrical system to run it???
    i would assume for one a seperate breaker for it but what about wireing and etc..

There is a reason it was 1200 bucks..... I have run a retroed one for 11 years, I don't use the toolchanger

We've got two that make lots of chips daily, usually small runs 10 to 100 parts but did one 7000 part run within the last year so lots of tool changes. Kinda keep in mind they are like an old car keep well tuned, well oiled and don't try to race a new corvett on the freeway and the BTC will do just fine for you.

My 2 R2E3's were free and working so I guess they were no good?

Lot's of people panic about "An Old Obsolete Control", I ran 1 of my machines for 16 12hour days with no trouble.

I agree with JonP, Do good maintenance, keep it well lubed, cleaned & adjusted & they will run for a long time.

Hey if it is running now it already ran for a long time!

Cutmore

thanks for the advice guys, it seems that with the right software i wont need to do a retrofit, the machine is coming with all of the manuals which is a huge plus. i wanted the machine to do some fairly complex parts that are rather large.

i wanted to do a retro so i could run master cam on it but instead of spending the money on the retro i can have master cam generate the code for me. i use auto dek inventor to design parts and master cam can import the files directy which is a plus.

one question i have is the machine capable of being drip feed data?

No it will not drip feed unless you had the optional DNC loader. Very rare. I have only seen one in a place making turbine blades 25 years ago. Also every cam program is very verbose. I could take a 8 page program generated by EZCAM and condense it to one page using loops and macros. But for fixtured multiple parts. 3D programs generated on a point to point can be many megabites long. Sometimes they can be condensed using parametric programing (variables).
    I suggest you look into a BTR. Google it. It is short for Behind the Tape Reader and it is a after market way of doing DNC to these older machines.

George