588,316 active members*
5,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New VF-2. Kurt, Chick or Glacern Vise??

New VF-2. Kurt, Chick or Glacern Vise??

The VF-2 is on order. Now, I've got to thinking about work holding.

I've worked with Kurt and Chick systems before with good success. Although, I'd like to hear more about the Glacern products. Does anyone have experience using these vises and tool holders.

Also, does anyone have the whole chick vise system. Foundation and vises? Do you find it beneficial to have the foundation plate?

Thanks in advance

I got the Glacern reverse jaw 6" vise and really like it. For the money pretty hard to go wrong.

Are you doing one-offs on big stuff or production on small stuff?

The VF2 is large enough to take three Kurt duolocks which come in very handy when do many smallish parts.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Good review here on one of the Glacern Vises: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37743

I'll have to write own myself one of these days. I currently have two GPV-615Rs. Build quality is at least as good as my Kurt's. By request, I got matched bed heights, even though the vises were purchased separately about 6 weeks apart. Apparently they've got a database of inspection data organized by serial number, allowing them to selectively match vises regardless of when and how many you order at a time.

With prices at roughly 1/2 that of the nearest competition, I will be buying more. When I get a larger machine, I'll be getting several of their double vises, and there's just no way I'll be able stomach spending an extra $4,000 for comparable Kurts/Chicks with no performance or quality advantage.

Gentlemens:

Does any one have one of the reversed jaw vises, ala the GMT GPV-615R, on a Haas TM-1? I wonder if there is enough clearence between the back of the table and the machine column to allow the vise to be moved back far enough.

Could someone measure the minimum table/ column clearence on their TM-1? I looked through all the specs on the machine and could not find this dimension.

Thanks!

Glenn