587,374 active members*
4,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How Do You Like The Deluxe Tormach Stand?

How Do You Like The Deluxe Tormach Stand?

Hi Guys

I am interested in hearing from owners of the Deluxe Tormach Mill Stand and their thoughts on how it works at keeping Swarf and Coolant contained inside the Stand? Do you find that the Table Splash Shield does it's job?

With average Milling operation, were does most of the Swarf end up in the Stand? Is it approximately fifty, fifty with equal amounts on each side the Mill? How effective is the Chip Drawer at collecting the Swarf? Should there be a second Drawer on the right side of the Stand?

Interested in any additional thoughts you have on using the tormach Stand?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Willyb

Quote Originally Posted by Willyb View Post
    Interested in any additional thoughts you have on using the tormach Stand?
    I have only been doing dry machining of acrylic so far (still on the learning curve, and acrylic is pretty forgiving) so I can't speak to the coolant containment.

The stand is sturdy and well made. It does need some attention to sound control. The three compartment doors have quite a bit of slop in the latches, and should have felt disks on the corners to eliminate vibration against the stand. The large backsplash and coolant tray panels resonate at some frequencies also.

The assembly procedure requires you to put the mill on the stand, then assemble the sheet metal around it. Although Tormach says you can put the mill right up against a wall, leave yourself room to walk/squeeze behind the stand. Otherwise you will never get the rear of the backsplash bolted together. Likewise, the base of the mill is too close to the front chip tray flange. A couple more screws I wasn't able to install. I did use silicone caulk on all the mating edges of the chip tray and backsplash, so at least where there are not screws, it's kind of glued together...

The front of the table splashguard frame interferes with the vise handle. (I'm used to putting a vise handle almost straight out and spinning it in kind of an orbital motion until the slack is taken up.) I am using a 3/4" ratcheting box-end wrench on the Tormach vise. I actually like it better than a standard vise handle, it turns out.

Best regards,

Randy

New Base

I've just ordered the mill with all accessories. There is a new design for the base and splash guard assembly that incorporates changes to address a lot of the issues raised.

I'll probably be getting one of the first ones.

--97T--

Any details on the newer stand? I just received my machine and stand last week and cut my "FirstPart" yesterday. Assembling the splash guards to the base works best if you do not tighten any of the bolts down until you have all of them started. That way I was able to get all but one bolt to line up. I used silicon as a backup in case I wasn't able to get them all though.