I recently swapped out some G320X Geckos for DG4S-16035s. The difference in performance is totally out of this world. So much so I had people challenging my claims about acceleration numbers in another group. This is a 2 ton machine with atleast a half ton of load on the Y axis. This got me thinking about a hybrid build I am working on.

On my hybrid build I had started building up one of the control and I was torn between hybrid steppers and G320X driven servos. The machine will require much lower torque motors than the machine I used the 16035s mentioned above. X & Y probably only need 280-380 oz in. I was looking at 350s as I can get servos or closed loop steppers in that range. The goal with the hybrid build is SPEED, FEED, and ACCELERATION with modestly decent rigidity. It will get a 3 phase 24K spindle. I'ld like to see rapids over 300 with the ability to feed upto atleast 150 (or more), and as good of an acceleration number as I can get.

My question is on a much lighter machine will I get proportional performance out if the 8020s? The heaviest loaded axis will be about 30 or 40 lbs, and the max payload on the table will be maybe 50 lbs. I remind you its a hybrid build, so my numbers are not as far off as you would think. Half mill / half gantry.