588,643 active members*
5,074 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Running a 2.2kw water cooled spindle from a 1.5kw vfd

Running a 2.2kw water cooled spindle from a 1.5kw vfd

Hi I bought a chinese spindle/vfd pair, rated at 2.2kw and the vfd quit after a stall ( went into fault mode, but when restarted it blew - I wasn't sure how long it would last , guess I know now )

Anyway, the spindle is fine, no shorts and all windings measure as original, now I already have a 1.5kw invertek vfd, is it permissable to run the spindle from the 1.5kw vfd ( and yes I know I will be limiting the spindle to 1.5kw max )?
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

Re: Running a 2.2kw water cooled spindle from a 1.5kw vfd

Adjust current limit in the VFD settings for a "safe" value that the VFD can handle.

Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Quote Originally Posted by davidmb View Post
    Hi I bought a chinese spindle/vfd pair, rated at 2.2kw and the vfd quit after a stall ( went into fault mode, but when restarted it blew - I wasn't sure how long it would last , guess I know now )

Anyway, the spindle is fine, no shorts and all windings measure as original, now I already have a 1.5kw invertek vfd, is it permissable to run the spindle from the 1.5kw vfd ( and yes I know I will be limiting the spindle to 1.5kw max )?
    Safely run the 2.2Kw on a 1.5Kw Vfd, no you will kill it in no time, even if you limit the 2.2Kw with settings, the spindle motor won't like that as well, you need around a 3Kw VFD for your 2.2Kw spindle, lots of packages you buy the VFD's capacity is too small, this is one of the main reasons why they fail
    Mactec54

If you're running that 3-phase spindle off of single-phase power (which is all that most hobbyists can get) then you need a VFD that's over-rated for the current the spindle draws, to compensate for the loss in conversion. Doing it the other way around - using a VFD that would be too small even if you fed it native 3-phase electricity, is a recipe for disaster.
    Andrew Werby
    Website