587,743 active members*
3,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ground Ballscrew - No nut!

Another ebay purchase - this item was an extremely high-quality linear motion device by NSK called a monocarrier. It combined a ballscrew, ground steel guides and plate, and the truck was combined with the ballnut.

I bought it knowing that the truck/nut was missing, as the fixed and simple support ends for the ballscrew were alone worth far in excess of what I paid for the whole assembly.

Now that it's apart, I have a deluxe 12mm ID dual BB fixed end ready to go on another project, a nice steel simple end, and the prettiest 16mm/5 pitch C1 ground ballscrew you'd ever imagine - but no ball nut.

What the heck can I do with a ground screw and no nut? Can it be refitted with another?

Hi swede, I don't see why you can't use another nut, Usually when ball screw systems are designed the nut is the wear item that is replaced, You would think that NSk holds their tolerances when fabricating thousands of these things and that a replacement nut would be able to fit any mono carrier of the same model type?
    check NSK's web site
    http://www.ca.nsk.com
    good luck

Swede,

That was the same question I had....could a nut be obtained for an existing ballscrew that will properly "merge" ?

I saw that item and contemplated placing a bid but for the missing truck/nut. I found another 20" 3/4"ballscrew/nut at rediculously low cost with end mounting blocks, nut mount, thrust bearings, pulley,etc. In fact, I got two using "buy it now". One came caked in hard grease and did not meet the advertised specs (balls had not been circulating). So a call to the sellor was made and they promptly sent out another at no extra cost. Now I have Three units, two of which are in excellent shape with very low backlash, and the third for more parts.

Trubleshtr adds a vote of confidence!

Bloy

Thanks guys, What you both say makes sense. I don't think the nuts are hand fitted - I think the screws come from the grinder made to a tolerance that allows stock nuts to be mounted. I'll check NSK. It'll probably be one of those deals where the nut costs $250 to be fitted to a $30 eBay buy.

Oh well, the bearing blocks were worth the $$.

Bloy,
    What was the name of the vendor, I'm in the market for a ball for a 20 mm ball screw
    NSK 2020A6.

Thanks
    Hager