587,172 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mach3 Question

Hi,

I'm having some issues (locking up, etc.) on a PC that I run Mach3 on. Does anyone know if its possible to run Mach3 without a motherboard parallel port yet? I would like to use a newer PC- but its nearly impossible to find a motherboard that has a parallel port anymore.

I was told awhile back when I set everything up that Parallel port expansion cards would not work- that it HAD to be on the Mobo, is this still the case as well?
    www.steelplinkers.com

Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Hi,

I'm having some issues (locking up, etc.) on a PC that I run Mach3 on. Does anyone know if its possible to run Mach3 without a motherboard parallel port yet? I would like to use a newer PC- but its nearly impossible to find a motherboard that has a parallel port anymore.

[Yes, you can run it without a parallel port, if you get a Smoothstepper board, which runs off the USB port. Here's a link: Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home .

But there are other things that might cause your PC to lock up while using Mach3, like Quicktime or Windows update. You might try optimizing your setup first, to see if that helps.]

I was told awhile back when I set everything up that Parallel port expansion cards would not work- that it HAD to be on the Mobo, is this still the case as well?
    [There may be some that work, but I haven't heard anybody boasting about their success with any particular one, and the consensus on the machsupport site seems to be "save your money". You're probably best off either troubleshooting the PC you've got, finding a motherboard with a legacy parallel port that functions in EPP mode, or going the Smoothstepper route. ]

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    [ finding a motherboard with a legacy parallel port that functions in EPP mode ]
    Could u explain this in a bit more detail? Not sure I get what that really means.

I emailed the Smoothstepper people to check about compatibility with a Bladerunner AIO, I'm not frustrated enough to spend $150 atm, but I'd like to have some options. As of now, if the PC im using goes belly up I'll be in a pickle.
    www.steelplinkers.com

Hi,

Yes, you can run Mach3 with a Parallel port expansion card. I'm using a Dell Vostro with a core duo CPU with no parallel port on the mobo. I installed a dual port parallel card and works with no problems. The only thing that I have not been able to make work is the charge pump, but that hasn't bothered me at all.

I have used about three different cards and all work fine.
    The only issue I had was that on one card, it was the auxiliary port rather than the port on the card that was the #1 port in the drivers part of windows.
    Once I told Mach the correct set of numbers for that port, it was fine.
    Here is the last one I installed. Maybe a month ago.
    Cables Unlimited Dual DB25 Parallel PCI Port I/O at TigerDirect.com
    Lee

"[There may be some that work, but I haven't heard anybody boasting about their success with any particular one, and the consensus on the machsupport site seems to be "save your money". You're probably best off either troubleshooting the PC you've got, finding a motherboard with a legacy parallel port that functions in EPP mode, or going the Smoothstepper route. ]"

I will agree with this statement, I tried the non parallel motherboard thing, Was able to get it to work ,however no extensive testing was done!!!My main problem was spindle RPM accuracy and stability in MACH3 from my CNC4PC C3 cards on my mill and my lathe. The only fix I found was to change to a motherboard with built in parallel port, you need to be able to select EPP mode in the BIOS (this is not possible with an add on parallel card). Just my experience , hope this helps.

ROB

Quote Originally Posted by rwestbr View Post
    [There may be some that work, but I haven't heard anybody boasting about their success with any particular one, and the consensus on the machsupport site seems to be "save your money". You're probably best off either troubleshooting the PC you've got, finding a motherboard with a legacy parallel port that functions in EPP mode, or going the Smoothstepper route. ]

I will agree with this statement, I tried the non parallel motherboard thing, Was able to get it to work ,however no extensive testing was done!!!My main problem was spindle RPM accuracy and stability in MACH3 from my CNC4PC C3 cards on my mill and my lathe. The only fix I found was to change to a motherboard with built in parallel port, you need to be able to select EPP mode in the BIOS (this is not possible with an add on parallel card). Just my experience , hope this helps.

ROB
    I'm using a Gecko G540 with Mach3 and driving a Colombo spindle with Fuji VFD and have not run into problems. My spindle goes from 0-300HZ for 0-18K RPM and when I set my spindle in Mach 3 to 18000, my VFD reads 300HZ. Don't know if my spindle is running at 18K RPM when my VFD reads 300HZ though. Haven't checked that.

Here's the link to my build log. -> Yet Another 8020 CNC Build - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Post #30 talks about my computer configuration and posts #172 and #174 talks about my VFD and spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos View Post
    I'm using a Gecko G540 with Mach3 and driving a Colombo spindle with Fuji VFD and have not run into problems. My spindle goes from 0-300HZ for 0-18K RPM and when I set my spindle in Mach 3 to 18000, my VFD reads 300HZ. Don't know if my spindle is running at 18K RPM when my VFD reads 300HZ though. Haven't checked that.

Here's the link to my build log. -> Yet Another 8020 CNC Build - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Post #30 talks about my computer configuration and posts #172 and #174 talks about my VFD and spindle.
    My spindle only goes to 6000 but was way off in MACH3 , It was a Compaq AMD X2 socket 939 motherboard. After I changed to DELL P4 with legacy parallel printer port everything worked perfectly. By the way very nice setup jsantos!!!

I had no problem with mine, I got it from tiger direct StarTech PCI1PECP 1-Port EPP/ECP Parallel PCI Card at TigerDirect.com ,you may find cheaper ones but make sure it is EPP/ECP compatible as this one is so it can be turned on in BIOS (needs to be run in EPP mode) and I got great support with this one too. I don't control my spindle with Mach so I can't speak for that.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrobby View Post
    I had no problem with mine, I got it from tiger direct StarTech PCI1PECP 1-Port EPP/ECP Parallel PCI Card at TigerDirect.com ,you may find cheaper ones but make sure it is EPP/ECP compatible as this one is so it can be turned on in BIOS (needs to be run in EPP mode) and I got great support with this one too. I don't control my spindle with Mach so I can't speak for that.
    How is it turned on in the BIOS of the motherboard? Please explain Robby

Just to clarify my issue: I use the CNC4PC C3 (index pulse card) card to get a SPINDLE RPM reading from my mill and lathe which is displayed in MACH3, if this is your goal then you may have trouble with a non parallel motherboard!!!I am not saying that you can not control your machine with parallel cards mentioned above. Just be warned....

I'm not calling you a liar rwest, I don't remember what I all had to do, I don't even remember where I found the answer, Mach support I think ( I might be thinking of configuring the port and not setting it to EPP), I am using the card in the link with Mach to control the 3 axis in a very basic setup. If you say there may be issues with spindle control then I believe you, for that matter you could tell me just about anything and I would believe you, I'm still new to this and learning all the time just wanted to put my 2 cents in. If I was binford I would listen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrobby View Post
    I'm not calling you a liar rwest, I don't remember what I all had to do, I don't even remember where I found the answer, Mach support I think ( I might be thinking of configuring the port and not setting it to EPP), I am using the card in the link with Mach to control the 3 axis in a very basic setup. If you say there may be issues with spindle control then I believe you, for that matter you could tell me just about anything and I would believe you, I'm still new to this and learning all the time just wanted to put my 2 cents in. If I was binford I would listen to you.
    I did not take it that way Robby, I am just trying to warn people who might want more than a basic setup. The way it works is windows automatically picks either EPP or ECP and there is no way to control which one it picks (unless your motherboard has the option). I spent much time and research on the issue,tried several cards and even ordered one that said it was a true EPP port. So I apologize if I called you out on this...

ROB

I did not take it that way Robby, I am just trying to warn people who might want more than a basic setup. The way it works is windows automatically picks either EPP or ECP and there is no way to control which one it picks (unless your motherboard has the option). I spent much time and research on the issue,tried several cards and even ordered one that said it was a true EPP port. So I apologize if I called you out on this...

ROB
    FWIW, I didn't have to set anything in my motherboard. The card I bought was advertised as EPP and Windows recognized it as such.

Not a big deal rwest, I felt like I might have stepped on your toes and I did not intend to do that. I don't feel like I was called out but you do have me wondering what I was thinking that I had to turn on/off or configure, I looked in BIOS and nothing in there rang a bell and I couldn't find anything in my notes. I'll keep looking so maybe I can provide some details. Thanks for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos View Post
    FWIW, I didn't have to set anything in my motherboard. The card I bought was advertised as EPP and Windows recognized it as such.
    hey J,
    I think your charge pump problem maybe related to this setup.

ROB

hey J,
    I think your charge pump problem maybe related to this setup.

ROB
    Maybe, but there's nothing in my BIOS to set. Besides, not having the charge pump has not been a problem. I just make sure my computer is running before I turn on the controller

I haven't had any spindle related trouble with mine. They must be selecting EPP automatically. On one of my computers, the onboard PP went bad. In that case, I could check the Bios to run EPP. Not sure if that worked on the add in or not, but it functioned like normal.
    I don't use the charge pump though, so that may be a big issue for some.
    Lee

but its nearly impossible to find a motherboard that has a parallel port anymore.
    It's not impossible if you build your own PC!
    I just bought an ECS 945GCD-M for that very reason. Now it doesn't have a fancy processor ("just" an Intel Dual-core Atom @ 1.6 GHz), but Mach3 doesn't care!

What I noticed when I started researching motherboards for my mill conversion was that the latest, greatest motherboards with the latest-greatest processors won't have a parallel port, BUT, if you're willing to go with "last years'" processors, it's still around. Who knows how much longer that will be true!

tom
    p.s. Intel & AMD have announced that the VGA port will be gone by 2015. Ah, the good-old-days...

Also you might consider just buying an IBM R40 laptop off Ebay. I have three of these. I am replacing my computers with these instead. I have had one running my mill now for a couple years. Works flawlessly. They are built like a tank. They do come with PP onboard. Some even with wifi.
    Expect to pay no more than $150.00.
    Sometimes much less. There are always lots of these on Ebay. Make sure you get one that is tested good and comes with charger and battery.
    Mach 3 doesn't require lots of computing power and these laptops generally have twice as much as needed.
    Lee

It seems to me you see a problem when trying to get a frequency signal back to Mach through the add on parallel card (i.e pulse card (rpm) or charge pump)
    does not appear to affect spindle control command signal going out.Just my opinion

ROB

Page 1 of 2 12