588,268 active members*
11,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap coolant system

I was thinking of using this submersable pump designed to be used for cutting tile or for water fountains as a cheap way to add coolant while milling metal/aluminum stuff. It cost about $7.50. Instead of using coolant fluid, I was thinking of just using clean water from my garden hose (or maybe I can add coolant fluid later). Basically, just submerse this item under water and attach a plastic tube where the water must exit out of. In my theory, it could work. Any suggestions?

See submersable pump at:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45305

George, That all I am using right now with water soluble coolant, for that price you can replace every year if you have to. I wrapped mine in a fine mesh for filtering out any swarf.
    Al

Yes. This method works great and very inexpensive.
    We run a $29.00 fountain pump on a 48x60 Boring mill.

Al_th_man,
    What kind of filter (fine mesh) do you use and where can I get one? How can I make my own filter? What kind of coolant works with these pumps?

George: clear water

Above you mentioned using just clear water...don't do it! Part of the reason for "coolant" is to inhibit rust...
    For coolants, in my case, I'm going with ENCO's SYN-KOOL. It's advertised as able to withstand intermitant use without spoiling over time....

Depending on what you're doing, you might also consider using air pressure to force coolant out of a closed tank. I've seen this done with small aquarium air pumps as it allows finer control over the coolant output without the overheating that some liquid pumps experience when the flow is too low.

George, I just used a fine muslin cloth, It used to be known as 'Mutton Cloth' You be able to find small bags made with a draw string thats ideal, Home brewers also use these bags for hanging hops in the brew. The coolant is a generic oil based, water soluble type that is common mixed from 5:1 to 100:1.
    Also, do not worry about restricting the flow with an inline tap as impeller type pumps actually decrease in load the higher the restriction.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

another option is to install a variable bypass valve to allow the pump to circulate higher volume yet still supply a "trickle" to the work if needed. This in addition to the nozzle control valve.

Hi,

Bloy is absolutely right, dont think about using any kind of water by itself. Coolants have rust inhibitives which prevent oxidation of metals, which is crucial, obviously.

Just keep that in mind, hope it helps.

H3ndrix