588,228 active members*
4,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Vertical CNC Router - Like a Panel Saw configuration???

Vertical CNC Router - Like a Panel Saw configuration???

I have this thought...what if you build a CNC router that is configured more like a vertical panel saw instead of like a table. You know...angled at like 75 degrees and snugged up to the wall. A 4' x 8' sure would take up a lot less floor space. What kind of issues would you run into? Gravity is not necessarily your friend any longer. I don't see it having a huge affect on your x-axis. You may want to rotate or modify your bearing system a bit. I also don't see it having a huge affect on your z-axis. Your y-axis is now going up and down hill. That could be a big deal, but I'm not sure. You might even be able to come up with a way to counter weight it, or give it pre loaded springs like a garage door. Has anybody seen anyone build one like this before? Anyone know of a commercial maching that works like this?

Thanks,
    Randy

I did look into this configuration for my cnc router that i am currently building. I think the gravity issues as they pertain to the drive mechanics could be solved using a counter weight as you mentioned, or just finer drive gearing to prevent the tool from falling during power down. I found that the largest shortcoming of this design for me was that when machining pieces that would be cut free you would always have the problem of the piece falling on the bit and ruining the work. With some extra care in your gcode you could try to insure that the cutter finished on the top of the piece; however, this would be quite annoying. If you went with this design i would be prepared to incorporate a vacuum holding system.

Re: Vertical CNC Router - Like a Panel Saw configuration???

Hello there

check this out… CNC Machining Centres | Casadei Industria

Cheers Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by coop2005 View Post
    I did look into this configuration for my cnc router that i am currently building. I think the gravity issues as they pertain to the drive mechanics could be solved using a counter weight as you mentioned, or just finer drive gearing to prevent the tool from falling during power down. I found that the largest shortcoming of this design for me was that when machining pieces that would be cut free you would always have the problem of the piece falling on the bit and ruining the work. With some extra care in your gcode you could try to insure that the cutter finished on the top of the piece; however, this would be quite annoying. If you went with this design i would be prepared to incorporate a vacuum holding system.
    Thats what tabs are for. to prevent the piece from moving after a majority of the profile has been cut.

Entirely doable. The trick is to not go 90 degrees and have slightly less than gantry weight as counter weight so when the machine is powered down the gantry lowers slowly.
    Two pulleys, steel braided cable, and some pvc weight containment tubes and your on your way.

it doable..
    however beyond full sheets parting up.. just makes life hard..

but for that reason, working always with full sheets, very handy..
    a lot simpler to load than any other type router..

An important benefit could be that much of the swarf fall down in the bottom of the cnc table. so cleaning the bed for new job installation would be much easier.

It really depends upon your intentions as ti viability. If you have a very specific type of sheet goods machining to do such a router might be OK. Otherwise if you are expecting a versatile machine that you can throw a variety of jobs at I'd say forget it.

If space is an issue you might want to consider a fold up router. This isn't an impossible idea and frankly probably would no save a great deal of space.