588,489 active members*
3,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Water table questions

I currently have a 4x4 plasma table and I'm getting ready to build a new 5x10 table. The new table will have a double water tank.

How do you prevent the debris in the bottom of the top tank from draining into the lower tank? Seems like over time it would build up and there will be no way to clean the lower tank.

Thanks

First Water Table

Hi, I just tested out my first water table today and I have a few questions as well. First, I'm also wondering how to deal with the eventual debris that'll build up within the tank. A while back I came across a thread where a user named Dannos posted pics of his machine. I can't find him or his post in under search, but the pic below is his, where you can see his plumbing. I think with this solution most of the debris would end up building up in the larger pipe, which you could then clean out. I ended up welding a large rectangular tank, but I'm still considering going with some sort polyethylene tank with a inspection hatch which would allow me to clean it out every once in a while.

Back to my current tank, once all or most of the water has been calmy displaced by the air pressure out onto the table, water then starts to shoot up. I'm assuming thats just air pushing the water up, however, at the same time a loud rumbling sound starts coming out of the tank. What could that be? Left over water in the tank being pushed around by the air pressure?

It takes 1:40 to fill the table with 130 gallons of water. It takes 5 minutes to drain. I'd like to speed up the draining. There are two inlet/outlet from the tank is 1.6 inches and the drain from the table is 0.8 inches. Air pressure inlet/outlet is 0.8 inches. If I make the drain and the air pressure outlet 1.6 inches will this significantly speed up the process? What will be result when I'm filling the tank with a larger opening? Also faster? Calmer? These may seem stupid questions, but I don't know ANYTHING about plumbing and air pressure.

I am also wondering what is a good height to have between the top of the slates and the top of the table to prevent splashing onto the floor. I don't have the gantry up yet so I can't test that out. Right now I have less than 2" from slate to top of the table. On a lot of professional machines, they're down about 4-5".

Hope we can get a good discussion going and get some of this questions answered.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04434.jpg