587,307 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Novice : Guidance Required

Hello Friends.. I recently have purchased a 1200x900, 80 Watt laser from G.Weike.. Got no complains about the machinery as such.. There had been few issues and had been sorted out.. I am a complete newbie when it comes to laser machine.. But I managed to learn a little of how the machine/software works without any reading.. Now i need expert's guidance for getting my job done more efficiently and effectively.

This machinery is mainly used for engraving in leather. And here are few issues for which I need guidance :
    One of the leather shoe component(outside quarter) has to be engraved with JOOP! logo in it(picture attached). The problem here is, the logo has a box around it and when the laser engraves the logo, the 2 horizontal lines are more deeply engraved than the rest of the vertical line and the text.. This results in an uneven outcome.. If I increase the power and speed, The leather gets cut in the 2 horizontal lines but the rest of the engraving is good.. If I decrease the power and speed to adjust to the 2 horizontal lines and the rest of the engraving is bad.. Please help me with this.. The following is the setting I used for engraving:

Speed : 600
    Power : 30
    scan gap : .05000
    Bi-Dir & blow is selected.
    I seriously don't know what this setting got to do with the engraving.. I just play with the speed/power to see if i get better results.. Please pardon me for my ignorance.. But what is difference between the raster engraving and vector engraving?? Is every machine capable of performing both raster as well as vector engraving?? If what shown in this video is right, then my machine does the raster engraving.. Here is how it does the job for me. As you see in the attached picture, I arrange the components in pair(10 pairs at a go). The laser starts engraving from the bottom of the table and it engraves 1 pair simultaneously, then moves up to engrave the next pair(something similar to old dot-matrix type printing. Iam not sure if this is the right way of doing the job. But it is the best i could make with this machine with limited knowledge of laser machine.

Later, I will try to post a video of how it does the job presently.. In the mean time, some views and guidance on this issue would be grateful.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07112012.jpg   07112012(001).jpg   joop lasercut.JPG  

You may want to post another photo, this time try focusing. Your photo of "Joop" is impossible to make out.

the scan gap should be 0.08 when engraving "JOOP" on leather,

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineJesse View Post
    You may want to post another photo, this time try focusing. Your photo of "Joop" is impossible to make out.
    Sorry for the bad quality of the picture.. Guess it time to change my mobile.. Will sooner post a better quality picture.

Quote Originally Posted by daweilaser View Post
    the scan gap should be 0.08 when engraving "JOOP" on leather,
    Thanks for the suggestion.. Will update back with the results of experimenting with suggested scan gap....

Could someone please explain me what are the purposes of other options in the engraving settings of lasercut other than power and speed?? Like scan gap, expand scale, bi-dir, blow etc..

TY

Hi there
    no problem:
    the scan gap is the settings in regards to what detail you want engrave and depends of the picture what DPI is it in example : 300 dpi ( most pictures ) the scan gap should be set to 0.07, bei 600 DPi is 0.04.
    bi dir: its the way how the laser fires ether one way or both ways back and fourth
    blow: is for the air assist if it should blow when the laser works ( only recommended during cutting)
    what version lasercut you are using??
    if you got more questions just send me a email at [email protected]
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by navino87 View Post
    Sorry for the bad quality of the picture.. Guess it time to change my mobile.. Will sooner post a better quality picture.

Thanks for the suggestion.. Will update back with the results of experimenting with suggested scan gap....

Could someone please explain me what are the purposes of other options in the engraving settings of lasercut other than power and speed?? Like scan gap, expand scale, bi-dir, blow etc..

TY