588,451 active members*
5,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Help With an Y and X axis idea

Post Help With an Y and X axis idea

am wanting to cut alumnium and copper was wondering if any one could help improve on this design or can show me another design or idea

i have a little drawing showing what am thinking off.
    i wanted the Z axis as a rectangle box to sit in between 2 y axis so it supported on both sides with linear rails and the spindle to be in slightly small housing so it travels downwards but being supported on all four sides any ideas would be much appreciated the drawing was the simplest way i can describe it

wanting to use steal to reinforce frame and aluminum extrusion

thanks for any idea or help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dan new x y for cnc zone.jpg  

Although one doesn't see it often because it's twice as expensive and difficult to do, there's no inherent reason not to support the Z axis on both sides. Of course, in your sketch, the spindle is fended off the work by its supports, but I can see what you're driving at as far as Z is concerned. It's still unclear what you plan to do about X and Y, though. Is this a gantry machine?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Yes and thanks for the reply this was my original design and as i came across a motorbike frame straightner which is supposed to be as solid as can be and the base alone is about 500kilo so i decided to use that for my base and as i have the extra metal and extrution i thought of changing the Y and z axis to be fully sypported.

i have my x axis running two thK BLR2525 which i wanted them drilled throught the extrution and sitting on a hiwin 45 rail and block on each side

i have a thk bnfn 3206 for the Y axis i also have two more blocks and rail of the hiwin 45 which was planning to put on the Y

and a THK BTK4010 for the Z .

so this is the design so far but am wanting to put a metal frame on y now with extrution.

but should i put the extrution on top of the metal on the X axis or bolt the rail straight ot that steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0300.JPG   Dan Frame.jpg   Dan Frame 3.jpg