587,481 active members*
3,136 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The strongest real life machine tools

Just as a matter of interest

Im interested in what members think are the best, strongest and most powerful real life machine tools, for example we have a Poreba lathe it has an 800mm chuck and a 700mm swing over the saddle and is 5000mm between centres and a 60hp main spindle motor, although this is a fairly large machine it never misses a beat and regularly ploughs 12mm a side off bent nasty stainless forgings, it never goes wrong and it never seems to strain, infact the tips we use give up long before the machine ever would(and we use big snmg 19mm tips)
    As I said was just wondering what other members thought, I personally don't think you could buy a more relaiable or stronger machine tool than a Poreba

Cheers
    Tim

lathe with one piece casting of beds and ways with a gear head, Milling machine with gear heads

I ran a mitsubishi MAF-240 that had a 66 foot table 16 feet of y-axis and a 100 hp gear drive spindle that put out 9110 ft-lbs of torque.

Here's a video link to an Ingersol Powermill 300 (300 HP mill). Check out those "coil springs" coming off the cutter....

It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

That video is awesome. I love machines like that. Gives "chip sweeper" a new meaning.

Jesus , your like' sweeping one chip at a time in the dust pan with a mill like that.

The machine must be using tips the size of house bricks, to take a .75" cut off at that kind of speed, usually if you want to take a heavy cut you go at it steady, but that thing was spinning around like a supa nova, its probably genereating as much heat as a supa nova aswell, you wouldnt want a chip that size going down the front of your shirt."ouch"

I live about 15. min. from ingersol cutting tools and am going there for there customer apprieciation party thur. afternoon. The place where I ran the big mits also had 2 large ingersol mills. They were used to machine engine blocks for ships, 30 -40 feet tall when assembled and approx. 16,000 horse pwr.

The link seems to be missing :frown:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549
    I live about 15. min. from ingersol cutting tools and am going there for there customer apprieciation party thur. afternoon.
    Party update, Ingersoll sure knows how :cheers:

Ingersoll certainly makes some huge bed mills, as does sister company Innse-Berardi. Somewhere in the range of 80-120 spindle horsepower.

i like the end of the video when you can see the heat rising off the pile of chips. thats a lot of heat.

I've ran Ingersols that big, cutting nickel-alum. Bronze 6" face mill full width of cut, 25 deep 80 ipm nothing but raw horsepower and dumpster full of chips

Old Matsuura with so much Horse Power it would turn a HSS end mill into a blob of moltn metal and keep on spinning. Titanium, good stuff
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com