587,133 active members*
3,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Virus software?

Never owned a PC before.. always macs, ataris before that..

So, I've bought a PC for my CNC machine build...

Now that I'm vulnerable, I need protection.. But I have no idea which anti-virus software to get..

Single user on a single machine... I could use soem advice here on the pros and cons on the popular security apps...

Thanks....

Personally the machine I built I choose not to be hooked to internet so no need for anti-virus software, I did have, but had issues with the updates going on and such while I was running a long program which would pause the program and ruin the part, I feel it is a safety issue as well. But on my home computers I do run anti-virus software.

I will continue to do most of my internet stuff on the mac, but there are a few sites, in which it is too old to parse the pages or do transactions... So for now, it is nice to have a newer machine that can..

I also will be downloading software for the CNC machine and watching on line tutorials...

Eventually, the machine will be isolated.. but that won't be until the machine is up and running and the kinks are worked out...

But for now, I need to install something.. and I have no idea what is what.. There seems to be 31 flavors of each companies software....

Avast has a free AV program ( avast! - Download Free Antivirus software or Internet Security ) that's well thought of. I'd also add a spyware program such as Super AntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

IT is my day job. When I must run windows I swear by Avast.

Bobsch has pretty well nailed it on the head as far as I am concerned. A good combination of protection and obviously, the price is right.
    I personally would also add a good two way firewall such as Sunbelt Personal firewall http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-...onal-Firewall/ and then when doing cnc, right clicking on the try icon and disabling all internet traffic. Then you can also safely disable the antivirus and malware programs for the duration of the operation.
    I completely agree with others that a cnc controller should be completely standalone and have no direct connection to a network or especially the internet.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Microsoft has an excellent, FREE solution for Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/