588,033 active members*
5,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Feedback on an Emco ET-420 CNC Lathe

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any exposure to an Emco ET-420 CNC Lathe. We completed some test runs with very good success. We also have an Emco 332 we are satisfied with but this is a different animal. We are thinking of purchasing one and cannot find any feedback besides the reference list from the vendor. The references all have good things to say but if I were a salesman I would only give out the names of my good references too. Any feedback would be helpful.

Hey Gunner, I was a factory Emco service engineer for a few years and also worked on them after that with a distributor. I just looked the 420 up and it is as I supected based on the 425 platform. Any info you want reguarding the machine look up references to the 425. only difference will be the control which is now a 840d rather than an 810. I have a LOT of experience with the 425. Overall it is not a bad machine, It has it's quirks like any other. It is not a beast, it does well with medium to light work. This machine is an air hog, feed it well, I would reccomend an at minimum 10 gal. air tank an accumulator prior the lathe. With all the mechanical crap going on you need to use a warm-up program to get everything settled in if you are doing high precision work. I can dance in an 810 but the 840d is a control I have limited experience with. for a programer the control should be a dream. From a maintenance standpoint I did not get enough experience with it to have any usefull feedback. The Seimens motors and drives are great, one of my favorites from a service point of view. If you have any direct questions about the base machine tool please feel free to contact me as I know a considerable amount about it having to go through the debugging process of a new modle at the time. I hope this helps some.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback CNCMEK! I'm hoping air will not be an issue. We have just upgraded our system. I'm more concerned about the machine operation and maintenance side. I don't want to get something in here that will become a pain for my operators to keep up and running. From the production standpoint it looks real good. We did some test parts on it that showed anywhere between 50 - 80 percent increases over our miyano rates. That part I like, but, if we can't keep it running.... For the most part your feedback is positive. We're getting pretty close to writing a check So the more positive feedback I get the better I feel about the purchase. Thanks again,
    Gunner
    Gunner

No problem Gunner. It will just take some getting used to ( the whole mirror image thing ) There are a lot of them out there that are making some nice complex parts. As far as the air goes it doesn't matter how good your system is I still recommend running at minimum a 1/2 " air line to a minimum of a 10 Gal. tank. Then a short run of 1/2" minimum to the air inlet of the machine ( if I remember it's 1/4" NPT there ) As this machine is waiting on a LOT of pressure switches for chucks ( 4 ea ) Subspindle for/rev and some other things as well it will get rid of some pesky alarms that will show up. It also will buy you a couple of seconds on your cycle time once you get it going you can also play with the settings of your pressure switches to gain a little more time. like I said, if ya have any questions please feel to contact me.

BTW, where you at in Buffalo? I used to visit a couple of companies there regularly. Kronenberger Wahl and a company right across from the brewery ( I can't remember their name ) . And here is your it's a small world bit for the day. You may reconize my last name " Dorschel " Although I'v never associated with any of them. Last time I saw any of them I was 14.

Thanks again cncmek, I will talk to our sales rep about these issues. I don't recall anything coming up during testing. REgarding the Buffalo questions, I was born here and haved lived in the area since the mid 50's. I live on Grand Island and commute to Orchard park (about 40 miles) where our plant is located at. We overlook Ralph Wilson stadium "Home of the Buffalo Bills". The names you mentioned were not familiar to me. I even checked the phone book to see if the companies or people were still around and drew a "0". Sorry, what was the brewery name. Maybe that will stir a brain cell. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Dave
    Gunner

cncmek,
    I checked into the air situation. It seems that Emco has changed to servo's on the 420 for their counterspindle positioning. This used to require alot of air. The only air usage now is for the chucks, parts catcher and ejector. Also Kronenberger Wahl is in Rochester. Could the other place be Tel-Tru near the Genesee Brewery. That is also in Rochester. I knew I wasn't going senile. I believe both those places had 425's. The application was wrong at Tel-tru, I have been updated on that situation. The work we plan on doing is in 11L44 - 41L40. Maybe some small diameter stainless work. By the way, Casey told me to tell you "Hello".
    That may be a blast from the past.
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    Gunner

Gunner, Doh! They all tend to run together after so long on the road LOL. Casey still with them huh, He's a good guy. Very knowledgable and probably one of the nicest guys I've met. If he is your Apps. guy you're in good hands. I hope he remembered me in a good light, when I left Emco I had been rode hard and put away wet as far as road work goes I was a little burnt out LOL. Next time ya talk to him tell him I said hey. Glad to hear they went to servos on the sub. The 840D has the power to handle the extra axis along with a lot of other capabilities the 810 didn't have.

Casey had good things to say about you. Also said you were a very good service tech. He is still with'em. He has worked with us on numerous applications for the 332 and is still involved in the 420 project along with Ed Mair. I'll pass on your "Hello". I should be talking with them again by the end of the week. Thanks again for the feedback, I'll keep in touch.

Gunner
    Gunner

Cool, Thanks Gunner. If ya ever need anything just ask.