587,218 active members*
2,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > Machining colered translucent display covers and light pipes

Machining colered translucent display covers and light pipes

Hi guys/gals,I am wondering what type of material to use to make 2 different things1) Translucent colored display covers like you would see on a stereo. In my case, 6 digit 7 segment displays. (see pic)(2) Light pipes. This is the plastic you see inside various electronics that are in all sorts of strange shapes. When an LED injects light into one end, it pipes through the plastic and you see the light on the other side with very little loss. With todays surface mount technology these things are a must. I want to make my own but I know the plastic is not just any plastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails display.jpg  

I have found some information, so I thought I would share for anyone else who may find my post:

Most of the light pipes are made from a clear acrylic or polycarbonate "optical grade" plastic. I have ordered some cast acrylic and polycarbonate so I will report my results.

I have found a link to a good pdf detailing light pipe design:
    http://www.ciri.org.nz/downloads/Lightpipe%20design.pdf

I need to find a way to diffuse the end of my lightpipe. Maybe the cutting can do it itself, I dont know yet.

Colin

Colin, I found that just sanding either the LED or the far end of the pipe will diffuse it. I have also used glue stick glue

Jay

Thanks! I like the glue stick glue idea, I bet that will work well in this situation. I can simply fill the holes with hot glue.

I've seen some small glue sticks out there maybe 1/4" ... might make a bendable light pipe might not

jay