588,392 active members*
5,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Galil G code to DMC

Any used this program in the past?
    Galil Motion Control catalog (Page 71) - Free Online Doc
    I have the older version but it does not seem to have some of the qualities this one seems to have, unfortunately Galil do not supply anymore due to later versions of Windows.
    I would like to get some feed back on it and how customizable it is with the DMC-1000??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

wow, you are digging pretty deep to find that.

Zero experience with that, just wanted to let you know that over a year ago I spoke to one of their product managers. I asked why they do not offer capability like that anymore and basically he told me market share.

Less than 2% of their controllers go into CNC tools, hence not really financially viable.

I think that is backward thinking!
    If they developed the features and front end I think there would be people that would use their product.
    I think it is/was the lack of a decent front end, they basically said you need to write it yourself in C++ or go with Camsoft.
    I have been using the old DMC-1000 card in custom CNC applications for many years and amazed what they can do.
    An example using the old OPINT with touch screen..
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0190.jpg   DSCF0191.jpg   DSCF0192.jpg  

Albert E.

You will not get an argument from me.

I use their cards and would love to have a front end that understood G code, but I bet it's a matter of price point in the retrofit world.

Their stuff is not cheap when compared to using a smoothstepper with Mach3 or a LinuxCNC conversion and the benefits are not obvious until you have done a conversion or two plus have experience with their products.

Let me say I have NOT tried their controllers with Mach3 and the Galil plugin, so cannot comment on how well that works. BTW: my only reason for not trying the combo is that the plugin seems to be closed source which goes against my software "grain" so to speak, especially when my fate is tied to something as critical as a software driver/plugin.

The 3D printing world may be a interesting place to search for some thinking and projects we could repurpose to this space, any takers and/or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I think that is backward thinking!
    If they developed the features and front end I think there would be people that would use their product.
    I think it is/was the lack of a decent front end, they basically said you need to write it yourself in C++ or go with Camsoft.
    I have been using the old DMC-1000 card in custom CNC applications for many years and amazed what they can do.
    An example using the old OPINT with touch screen..
    Al.

I have seen some here and on other forums that have attempted or started a front end, and it does not seem to get past the simple Gantry, and they all seem to hesitate when it comes to lathe S/W for some reason, I would have thought there would have been some bright minds out there that would carry it through, but It looks like just wishful thinking?
    Al.

Albert E.

Speaking for myself, the current stuff works just well enough.

I have considered going down this trail, but get stopped pretty quickly when I look at the range of "compatibility" issues to be addressed if it was to be useful for more than just my limited case.

Question for you, what do you need? You looking for a simple front end to Galil and maybe Delta Tau? Or a full on every bell and whistle?

The main reason is for the original post is that I have many simple-task CNC machines out there I have used the DMC-1000 on and have a number of these cards I would like to make use of, so far the OPINT method has done a bang up job of a quick customizable front end and allowing the invisible (to the operator) of downloading and running a part program on the card.
    These are basically simple operation machines where the operator enters position values and M code-type on/off functions, part quantities etc.
    But I have some applications that require a bit more in the way of part shape variation, in the case of lathe type functions such as stock removal routines, vector and circular interpolation and threading etc.
    Although the card is perfectly capable of doing this, it means writing and in-depth routine in OPINT that will translate the G type code and associated code position and variable parameters to DMC.
    This could be presented to the operator in the form of a G code selection table, where when a particular code is selected, would request the parameters and variables, the operator would build a program much like Conversational Programming, although not as ideal as building in a CAM program, it might work in some instances, this is the reason for also looking at alternate options such as the program shown in P#1 link.
    I have already utilized a Mitsubishi PLC to handle all the complicated M&T code functions In which I have written a preliminary program that converts the limited 8 outputs on the DMC (OP) using a binary format to increase the number of possible output functions.
    This operates the same as commercial systems that use a separate PLC or PMC and after carrying out the function sends a done or Finish signal back to the DMC and the program continues as is normally the fashion.
    The advantage of a PLC is it not only unloads the responsibility from the DMC, which is not really suited to functions such as Tool changers etc, it has all the conditioned inputs and outputs which are required anyway.
    Anyway, still working on it.:tired:
    Al.

Albert E.

Crazy idea....

What about we try to get them (Galil) to open source their old G Code translator and then we have a go at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Any used this program in the past?
    Galil Motion Control catalog (Page 71) - Free Online Doc
    I have the older version but it does not seem to have some of the qualities this one seems to have, unfortunately Galil do not supply anymore due to later versions of Windows.
    I would like to get some feed back on it and how customizable it is with the DMC-1000??
    Al.

I just tried, they say they have abandoned it.
    Al.

Albert E.

So you asked them for the source code and they said they have abandoned it?

Heck, they lost it...

The impression I have is that anything considered obsolete has been abandoned, I believe this is due to the hassle of any support that they may have to provide if it is continued.
    They appear to prefer to promote current products.
    I know that in the past, some of their software has been 3rd party generated.
    They appear to have a smart team there, it is a pity that they could not work on a Galil-originated CNC front end?
    Al.

Albert E.

I have spoke to one of their tech folks a few times and they seemed REAL sharp, let me send her a email referencing this thread and see what she says.

Al