588,487 active members*
5,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Controller works with Mach3 but on EMC2 it wont work but other mill does so ?

Controller works with Mach3 but on EMC2 it wont work but other mill does so ?

Hi,
    I do have 2 Mills and i am fine. Now i do need an powerful controller so i got an german controller called tripple Beast (Sorotec - Triple BEAST )
    i got it to work with Mach3 but not with WIN-NC PC

i tried Charge Pump no Charge Pump Config i tried no PWM config.
    So my question is there someone who has some hints or links to howto tackle or narrow down the error in the config.

i plan to get my new Klippfeld CNC Lathe to work therefore i use 5A Motors.
    And i dont want to use any windows program private only if i am forced to.
    So please if you have an hint or someone which similar issue i am end of my latin now (as we say in german ,... )
    best reg
    thomas

Let us know what version of EMC2 you are using.

Did you generate the setup with StepConfig wizard? If so, were you able to test the individual axises in stepconfig?

Alan

Hi
    sorry my bad
    I use the old and new Ubuntu Live Cd for testing.
    So it is an 8.x Ubuntu with come 2.3x version of EMC2 which i use for my Proxxon F70 (usovo ) cnc mill.

My Turning lathe should run on the new Ubuntu 10.x Emc2 2.4.5 which i use from now on. So the old config was only to see if i have some unix issue but it wasnt.

So i did use stepconfig for config straight forward.
    The idea was to emulate an standard Mach3 mill config.
    Which is described straight forward in the documentation ( http://www.sorotec.de/jo15/index.php...ownload&cid=32) of the controller.
    I do use dual boot so i did then an mach3 install and it worked. So,...
    Then i tried to do an no chargepump install. So i set the jumpers according the docu and reconfigured the pins. and then i did an chargepump no pmw config but all 3 did not work so my question is where can i find hints how to track down log the issue or see why it did not work.

thank you for the fast reply
    best reg thomas

Thomas,

OK, did you test each axis in stepconfig, to verify that it was responding correctly to the chosen settings?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi
    sorry my bad
    I use the old and new Ubuntu Live Cd for testing.
    So it is an 8.x Ubuntu with come 2.3x version of EMC2 which i use for my Proxxon F70 (usovo ) cnc mill.

My Turning lathe should run on the new Ubuntu 10.x Emc2 2.4.5 which i use from now on. So the old config was only to see if i have some unix issue but it wasnt.

So i did use stepconfig for config straight forward.
    The idea was to emulate an standard Mach3 mill config.
    Which is described straight forward in the documentation ( http://www.sorotec.de/jo15/index.php...ownload&cid=32) of the controller.
    I do use dual boot so i did then an mach3 install and it worked. So,...
    Then i tried to do an no chargepump install. So i set the jumpers according the docu and reconfigured the pins. and then i did an chargepump no pmw config but all 3 did not work so my question is where can i find hints how to track down log the issue or see why it did not work.

thank you for the fast reply
    best reg thomas

Hi
    i did try to do that in stepconfig but they did not respond.
    I did try to invert but nothing.
    i did use an setup file from them did reset (using the jumper setting Page 7 http://www.benezan-electronics.de/ma...stallation.pdf ) like an WIN-NC PC konfig. (It is the one without chargepump) then i did configure in XP Partition the win nc pc and check that it works. Sooo
    if someone has an config EMC2 to WIn-NC PC then i would like o give it a try.
    In Stepconf the motors dont move what else can i try ?
    Its now 2100 my time so a hint for wednesday would be cool.
    thx
    for the help so far
    best reg
    thomas

Thomas,

Have you talked to Nicholas Benezan directly? From his posts, I believe that he is familiar with EMC2.

I can't read the instructions in German, so I can't be much more help. I am not sure what that Triple-Beast controller is expecting in the way of signals.

It sounds like you eliminated the likely source of early problems (like not getting the charge-pump configured correctly). Do you have an enable signal to the drives? Is the polarity of your estop correct for the controller?

The controller is a step and dir controller correct? I would keep playing with StepConfig wizard. If you can't get stepconfig to move the axises then you probably don't have something correct.

I have found in the past that getting stepconfig to run an axis was not a guarantee of immediate success in EMC2 but that failure to get stepconfig to run an axis was almost a guarantee that it wouldn't work in EMC2. Stepconfig doesn't make all of the checks that EMC2 does (like it doesn't check to see if you are sitting on a limit switch).

Good luck and don't give up.
    Alan

My apologies if this is too basic.
    When I first used emc, I didn't understand the purpose of the power (f2) and e-stop (f1) buttons at the top of the screen.

Do you get any error messages from emc when you push a jog button?

Hi
    no that is not to basic
    So in stepconfig i can use jog arrows but nothing happens no error nothing
    The run button doesent work either.
    So my experience is that start emc then reveils the errors but it doesent.

So i get away the stop button start the machine like normal and then the plus or minus button nothing happens.
    So yes it is working with directions and steps like normal WIN-NC PC (i think they are the primitivest controls out there ,.. ) so if anyone has an WIN-NC moved to EMC2 i should be able to start from there
    my guessing is that the timings frequency step times are the issue. But on that area i am a newbie because HEIz-400T and Proxxon usovo pimp for the small worked immediately ,..
    So i am still verry thankful for any hint
    i could post the screenshots from my stepconfig if that helps ?
    thank you all so much
    best reg
    tk

Try contacting Nicholas Benezan. He developed the BOB/Driver that you are using. I believe that he has posted on the LinuxCNC irc channel previously.

You might try the linuxCNC irc channel for better luck. www.linuxcnc.org

Thomas,

Can you turn the charge pump off in Mach and see if it still runs the way you have it jumpered for emc2?

Alan

hi,
    i did switch off the charge pump (Jumpered it off ) and because i am more familiar with WIN-NC PC used win nc pc to control it. Then i am really safe no charge pump working.
    And i did send an mail to breznan lets see if he has an hal file for me to start from or some hints. But i do think i have an timing issue bcause otherwise EMC would give me an error at startup isnt it ?
    But any hint welcome ill post then the working result if the people want to
    thx so far
    thomas

Thomas,

I emailed Nicolas Benezan about your problem and got a reply from him. He said to use the charge pump.
    Hello Alan,

I think the problem is that the charge pump signal frequency is too low with the standard EMC settings. Try increasing BASE_PERIOD = 24000 to get 12kHz. The BOB inside the TripleBeast needs at least 10kHz.

Best regards

Nicolas Benezan
    I hope that you will get a reply from him also. I was thinking after my last reply to you that you should try getting precisely the same machine setup running on the two different control software. That way you are sure that the setup you are trying to get running on emc2 actually works on the BOB. I also think that it is probably a timing issue. That is where I have gotten bit in the past.

Alan

Thomas,

I got a followup from Nicolas Benezan.

Sorry, I was confused. The charge pump frequency is, of course, derived from the SERVO_PERIOD and not BASE_PERIOD. So the correct settings are
    BASE_PERIOD = 24000
    SERVO_PERIOD = 100000
    This gives a charge pump frequency of 10kHz (period 100,000ns).

The LPT pins should be configured as follows:
    PWM at pin #17
    Charge pump at #16
    Spindle enable at #1
    Coolant at #14
    Estop in at #11
    step XYZ at #3, 5, 7
    dir at #2, 4, 6
    limit switches XYZ at #13, 12, 10

Jumpers: connect pins #4-5 and #6-7, leave 1..3 and 8..11 open

Viele Grüße

Nicolas Benezan
    Good luck,
    Alan

An Update
    I did now switch to my "old" EMC2 2.3.5 Ubuntu 8.04 version which i use with my micro mill (Usovo Proxxon ,... PCB Type of mill )
    And i did use settings and the file i got from Mr. Brezenan and it did work almost immediately ,..

But the end switches did not work as i like them to but that is minor.

So now my question did anyone try to port hal and ini fles from "old" to new" 2.4.x Ubuntu 10.4 EMC2 Version ?
    So i gut 50% Success so far. The lathe arrives 1st of Nov.
    thx
    thomas k

I got my router upgraded from 2.3.5 with Ubuntu 8.04 to 2.4.x with 10.4. I just ran stepconfig on my old stepconfig file and then edited the result to take care of some mods that I had done. However, I upgraded my lathe from 2.3.5 on 8.04 to 2.4.x on 8.04 and I still haven't got it running. It appears to be some pin change that I haven't figured out yet.

Alan