588,206 active members*
4,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > At last! First CNC Router in operation

At last! First CNC Router in operation

Well, its taken me about 18 months, but I have finally completed my first router.
    Its based around a fixed gantry supporting the Z axis, with Y axis on the X axis.
    Controller is a Parker Compumotor 6K4, driving Parker OEM 770 servo drives. The Z axis uses a Compumotor SM232 servo coupled to a 10 tpi linear actuator, The Y axis uses a Compumotor SM232 servo coupled to a THK KR33 1tpcm actuator, and the X axis uses a Compumotor SE231 and 10:1 gearbox driving a THK KR45 0.5tpcm actuator.

Other details: Everything is fixed to a piece of 18mm plywood, the Y axis is fixed to 38mm worksurface, the Z axis gantry is in 70mm tanilised timber, reinforced with plywood. (The Mk II is intended to be more solid, but this set up is suprisingly rigid).

The work surface is a piece of Bosch Rexroth Aluminium plate with 4 T slots, to which I have fixed some lengths of 30mm timber that I am using as a sacrificail work surface.

I am using a standard Bosch router that clamps into a nice rigid aluminium housing. I need to tidy up the wiring as its a bit of a mess, and improve the dust extraction...

Pic 2 shows the facing of the sacrificial work surface (the tool touches down on the microswitch to set the table height/tool height) to the height of the microswitch.

Finally, I have plans to adapt the router to a depositier for 3D printing...

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Facetable01.jpg   Facetable02.jpg  

i like the idea of the fixed switch for tool height setting.. how did you determine where to put the switch?
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Fixed switch for tool height

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    i like the idea of the fixed switch for tool height setting.. how did you determine where to put the switch?
    Hi.

The switch is located just inside the limits for X0.000 and Y0.000.
    As I am using a Parker 6K4 controller, I use a basic setup program to home the axes, then move the tool head to a position just above the tool set switch. The user is then prompted to check that the tool is over the switch and the tool is then driven slowly onto the switch, capturing the position when the switch trips.

The sacrifical table was machined down to this figure, so that any subsequent tool changes should return the height of the table work surface.

It may not be the right way to do it, but it works for me!

i think that sounds like a trick setup... and i think im gonna follow that process if i ever get mine up and running....
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.