587,166 active members*
3,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

roughness in spindle

Hey guys. Last night I replaced the ruby ball on my probe (they are very delicate I found out). When I was getting the new one set up with a dial indicator I noticed a little hitch, bump or roughness in one spot as the spindle rotated. If am going make a service call but am super stressed out since it is a 3 week old machine not running that much. Could it be a belt or something else other than a blown up spindle? It would be ironic to get a machine that had a spindle problem as one of the things I was concerned about on my old machine (fadal) was all the spindle problems they are having. Should I not use it until they service guys come check it out?

thanks

mark
    VF2

Is it mechanical or magnetic? In other words: is it a grinding feeling or just a spot the spindle 'likes' to be in?

While trying to troubleshoot my original, ailing vector drive, I learned that the vector drive carefully regulates its output when the spindle is running. When it's supposed to be off, there are also idle voltages coming out that are not always equal. You can sometimes feel that as a spot the spindle tends to favor.

I guess a way to test would be to e-stop the machine. That cuts power to the vector drive. If it still has that feeling, it ain't electronics. Write it down though. And get it documented. The VF-2 comes with a 1 year warranty, right?
    Greg

thanks Greg, I am going to check it now

Mark

It seems to be mechanical, like a roughness in the bearing. Oh ****. I will let you know after the tech has come

Quote Originally Posted by fourperf View Post
    ...... Should I not use it until they service guys come check it out?

thanks

mark
    VF2
    This is the wisest approach I think.

You have not by any chance crashed it? Particularly with the spindle stationary.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

never crashed. The tech has been here all day. It is the belt riding down the pulley and rubbing. Apparently all you can do is shim the motor. He had been working all day on it and its still not right. I lost a whole day but at least its not the spindle.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fourperf View Post
    .......but at least its not the spindle.

Mark
    Deep sigh of relief, yes?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Very deep sigh of relief. They just shimmed the motor. The belt sitll rides a bit on the lip of the rear pulley. They told me that they all do that. It is way less than beforew and the spindle is smooth again.

Mark

motor sits on rubber isolators .. depending how you tightened down the motor .. hopefully evenly

they shimmed the motor, I am not sure it was even on both sides. It took something like 5hrs. I hope its fine.

mark