588,287 active members*
4,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 4th axis cutting on a cylinder

4th axis cutting on a cylinder

Hey guys , ive got a problem trying to cut on a cylinder in the 4th axis

ill try an explain it as best I can. I wish i could post a picture of the part but the customer would not be to happy. haha
    the part is a cylinder 14.14 long with a od of 4.124 and another od of 4.6 with a length of 3.0 at the end im cutting.
    on the 4.6 end they want it machined down to mate up with the other 4.124 dia. with a width of 22.5°. I am only running mill lvl 1. I have tried swept 2d with little success, and also tried the rotary axis button, with axis substitution and get lost.

I also have windows on the 4.124 od that require a .03 x45 ° chamfer, the windows have vertical walls so there is no need for any rotary action. but its the chamfer that follows the od of the part which im also having difficulty with.

I remember doing this stuff in school quite a bit but that was 5 years ago. .. and i have lost alot of it. we also had full cam capabilities in school to whiched helped..

anyways thanks for the help guys.

here is a rough idea of what i am tryin to cut. I need to cut that V shape while keeping the radius on the cylinder. I now have access to a full version of mastercam thru a friend at another shop after hours. I really wish i could remember this stuff from school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cylinder.JPG