588,529 active members*
6,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Help, my Geckos may have died!

Help, my Geckos may have died!

I am building my first cnc router and i have read a lot of great material on here. My routeruses stepper motors and has 1 motor on the X axis, 1 on the Z axis and 2 motors on the Y axis. I am using 4 G212, a Bob Campbell breakout board, a 50V linear power supply and Mach III. I have read the manuals for my Geckos, breakout board and Mach III but that did not prevent me from screwing up. I hooked up my controller and the breakout board has the common set +5V and the Geckos are set to ground. I did not realize this until I did not get any movement and I started troubleshooting. I moved the jumpers on the Geckos to +5V and now one of the motors makes a humming noise, one makes a loud noise, and two of them do nothing. When i try to jog my Y axis my Y1 motor makes a loud noise. Also, when i attempt to jog the X axis my Y2 motor is humming. I setup the A axis as a slave to the Y axis in Mach III. Please help, I do not know if I smoked drives, breakout board or if something else is wrong.

Brian

i ve got no answers for you , though you may feel relieved to know if you did smoke your drivers they can be sent back to gecko and they will fix them for you , i smoked mine last week so i know what your feeling , you may have to wait a couple of weeks before your cutting again but its better than going thru the added expense again

Troubleshooting

I do not have an electrical background but is there any troubleshooting that I can do to determine where my problem lies?