587,466 active members*
2,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SMW Spacesaver autoload 12.65 Bardeeder

I'm not sure where to post this, but since I have a Mazak and this is going to be used on my mazak, I thought I would post it here.

We just bought a used SMW Spacesaver 12.65 Autoload barfeeder and I did not get a user manual with it. Can anyone point me to where I can find one or does anyone have a copy that they are willing to part with. I really have no idea how to set this thing up. Also, if anyone has some photos of a QT15 or similar with a feeder hooked up to it, that would help me a bit as well. Specifically the area of the spindle as far as the photos go. Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat as you. I purchased a qt18n and it came with this barfeeder which wasn't hooked up. now all i have is a cable with a bunch of wires coming out of it and no idea where to hook them up into the machine. apperently smw was bought out and the new company has no diagrams on this thing.. Only thing i got is the electrical diagram from the mazak book.

solution

Mazak Kentucky Engineering produces what's known as "Ebills" which are a nicely documented 'kit' that details all the arcana for hooking up the specific barfeed to the semi-specific Mazak machine.

Are you guys connected to your nearest Mazak Tech Center? They would have it, if they're interested in helping you. I would think they would be. Mazak is very customer driven.

-Jim

After staring at the electrical manual for awhile, I did figure most of it out. However, not wanting to cook anything, I called the machine tool tech guy. Basically, what he said was that the lathe was not originally setup for a barfeed and he was going to have to manually wire it in. about 3 hours later, he had it working. Might be worth the money on your end. Also, keep persisting with the company that bought out smw(can't remember who) they sent me some diagrams that were a little helpful as well as a user manual

Hmm.. I'll have to give them another call. but if they don't help. is there any chance that you still have the diagrams they sent you?

Here's the interface diagram for the 12.65

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...SMW1265002.jpg

Hope it helps you.

nice.. thats just what i needed.. thanks a bunch.. i'll let you know if i get it going tomorrow.

It’s been a few years, but I remember some eccentricities of this bar feeder.

First, the PLC locks up sometimes and can be reset be removing the firmware and shorting 2 pins, then re-inserting the firmware. I don’t remember which pins right off.

Second, unless you have a newer version of the firmware, it sends out the m-code acknowledge signal before it’s done. I had to use a G04 dwell to work around this.

Next, there is a micro switch underneath the control panel. This selects whether the pusher fully or partially retracts.

Lastly the bar feeder uses the same input line for bar feed, eject slug and load new bar. When the bar end output is high the next bar feed command ejects the slug, then the next one loads the new bar. If you are simply using the chuck open signal to feed the bar, this can result in some unexpected results at the end of the bar.

Hope these help.

ok here is what i got to work with

ok.. so i have both schamatics now.. i'm still a bit confused as to which wire goes where.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02031.JPG   DSC02033.JPG   sameca.jpg   SMW1265002.JPG  

Can't help you with the wires, but you might repost as "need help with T32 bar feed hook up". Does your lathe have the 17 and 4 pin connectors on the end for the barfeed?

no, there is no connectors, all i have is the bunch of wires shown in the picture. the power wires are a seperate cable that I have hooked up. I'm going to try and do some testing today to figure some things out with it. this barfeeder was hooked up to this machine before. the place we bought the machine from disconnected it and had it covered outsite for 4 years. So looking at the lenght of the wires it seems they were all hooked up realativly close. here is a pic where i belive they hook into. the cable has all the wires numbered from 1 - 24

so here is what i got so far

4 goes to +24N
    5 goes to P24
    6 goes to +24N

other then that i'm pretty much lost between looking at both diagrams. the numbers for the barfeeder wires on the mazak print don't match up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02034.JPG  

well after some testing, figured out where a few more wires need to be, then all of a sudden the PLC for the barfeeder just shut off. it won't start back up now, no lights will come on. I can't find a fuse or any breaker in the barfeeder. it test that it has power going to it. hope i didn't fry it.

On the terminal strip that runs parallel to the PLC are three fuse holders labeled 1F3 1F4 and 1F5. They should be 2A, 2A, and 6A.

Pins 4 and 6 are power out (+24) from the bar feeder, they should not hook up to 24 volt on your lathe.

your right about them being the wrong ones.. i realized that this morning.. thanks for letting me know where they fuse holders are.. i found the one that was blown out.. now back to testing again lol.. i appreciate all your help.. i'll let you know if i ever get this thing going.

Kind of hard to read, but here's where I think EMG 1 amd EMG 2 which would be wires 23 and 24.

Also +24N (wire 13) and SIN (wire 18) would be.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c.../DSC02033A.jpg

Are there any other bar feed interface drawings inyour electric book?

the electrical book has one for IRCO, LNS, and SAMECA, i can scan them and post pics if you think it might help.

Yes it might help identify the rest of the terminals. (B4 and B6)

not sure if these will help, but i'm just going to post all the info the electrical book has on barfeeders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IRCO.jpg   LNS.jpg   MISC2.jpg   MISC3.jpg  

MISC4.jpg   MISC.jpg  

If the terminals circled are BFA and BFB then this is the e-stop output to the bar feeder. Wires 4 and 5 from the bar feeder.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c.../DSC02033B.jpg

yes, those are both BFA and BFB. I'm kinda wondering where you figured that out from.. I don't see them on any of the diagrams. unless i overlooked it. looking at the attached picture, where i circled is what i though were the only places i was hooking wires up into the Lathe. So far i got 5 wires hooked up. if your right about BFA and BFB. that would add 2 more to the list. thanks for the help again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sameca1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12