587,999 active members*
1,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > 2 - 1990's Matsuura mills with NO safety switches

2 - 1990's Matsuura mills with NO safety switches

Hello all,

Just wanting to see how many people bought NEW Matsuura machines in the 1990's or 2000's without any Operator Door Safety Switches installed from the factory.

We have a 1997 RA3F, a 1990 760VX and 2 - 1997 ES450 mills. ALL without any safety devices. I never really took notice of it until we got a suprise visit from OSHA. Now we are required to install them.
    Problem is, I can't find any documentation in the electrical schematics to show it was even offered as an option.

How could/can they sell CNC machines in the U.S.A. without some form of Operator Safety Device ???????

I thought it was Mandatory to have Safety Devices on any automated machinery since OSHA was created.

What you can do if you don't get the Factory schematic is use these type in the E-stop string.
    eBay 130762470114, you would need to order or make the special striker if they don't come with it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If Matuura offered them, even as an option, then the were required to install them on any US machine. ALL US bound Mori's at that time had interlocks, as well as Okuma. Being a small builder, Matsuura may have not known 100% of the regulations, and the dealers don't care. It hasn't been till the last 5 years or so that regulations got much tighter on interlocks. I have seen Mori's and Okumas imported used from Japan/overseas that didn't have interlocks, and it was quite pricy to add factory ones.

Al The Man.....I would prefer to tie into the FEED HOLD circuit and the Spindle STOP circuit instead of E-stop so the operators don't need to re-zero the machine.

I called Methods Machine Tool (Matsuura Supplier/Builder) and got bounced from parts to service to sales and then referred to my local distributor, and I'm waiting for their response.

Underthetire....I'm sure someone got bribed to let stuff like this get through the system. And now that they are no longer under warranty, it's not their problem.

IF you end up having to design your own, I would tie in to the External reset on the control if it has one, or have Uptime re right the ladder to implement them.

E-stop with the door open would make it mighty hard to manually change tools or load the tool changer, find edges, etc.

Feed hold and spindle stop may be better, but what if you are in a cut and the spindle stops before the feed holds! I suppose a broken tool is better than a dead operator but just when you slide the door open is not the best time for a chunk of carbide to go flying.

Matt

Good point guys.

I have also been instructed by the shop manager to install over-ride switches for the operators to be able to do set-ups and things without alarming the machine out.

We have 8 Makino's with this set-up from the factory....Problem is , the operators leave the switch in the Over-ride position ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by handy223 View Post
    Al The Man.....I would prefer to tie into the FEED HOLD circuit and the Spindle STOP circuit instead of E-stop so the operators don't need to re-zero the machine.
    There are some systems around, but it is very unusual for the E-stop to switch the controller off, if it is still active, there should be no need for a re-zero.
    I am not sure how OSHA views a Feed hold in this position, the NFPA79 is not that clear on the subject but now a Safety Relay is becoming mandatory and normally has an input for safety curtains and door switches.
    Apart from Feed Hold and E-stop, tie it in to the system Reset button, this normally shuts off all machine motion and Sp motors.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.