587,115 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Second design attempt. Input wanted!

Second design attempt. Input wanted!

This is a moving table version. Cut size 8.5" x 11" x 2.25".

This is just an idea I am kicking around, I may get to built it next spring.

i gotta make my pics smaller. i should have them uploaded later.

Here they are.

Tell me what you think.

ljoe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full assembly.JPG   dimed assembly.JPG  

The design looks nice, myself I am considering going with that kind of setup as well. A stiff arm and a stable XY table, what more one needs.

Konstantin.

P.S.
    It has a bit of a J K Hawk in it.
    But sincerely, one cannot just take a basic shape for a router arm and claim it as its own. I dont know, but looking at Microsoft's new patents one may hear one day that the linear slide is patented, and some basic tubular arm is patented as well. Thats terrible, think of your drawers, they has linear slides, OMG.
    Hell, I cannot double click without feeling guilty anymore, and dont even mention tabbed link browsing. Geeez.

I have a similar design and the only thing I don't like about it is that dust is always getting on the ball screws and slides of the XY tables.

You might want to consider some way covers. I saw some on EBAY the other day.
    Trent

I like it. The usual way mills are is to have the x slide inverted but that means that the distance between the rails (doves on a mill) is small, your design spreads it out giving support over a wider area. One problem with that might be that flex in the rails be amplified but I suspect for a machine this size it would be fine and would probably be offset by the other advantages. You could even have 4 rails if you think you can align them OK.

The only other thing I saw was the gap between the x,y stage and the upright, this would not seem to be needed, or is it to allow materials to hang over the edge of the bed a little?

Good luck with it!

Graham

what is your reasoning/ advantages for moving the table in x and y axis rather than moving the tool?

No reason I just want one of this shape.

I already built a moving gantry type. It wiggles and such. I am gonna build one of this shape and compare them.